Yola

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Yola

Postby Cthulhu » Fri 21 May 2010 2:10 am

Yola is an extinct language that developed from Old English and was spoken in County Wexford, Ireland for about 700 years, from the 12th century to the 19th century.

Here is a sample, the first verse of a song.

Fade teil thee zo lournagh, co Joane, zo knaggee?
Th' weithest all curcagh, wafur, an cornee.
Lidge w'ouse an a milagh, tis gaay an louthee:
Huck nigher; y'art scuddeen; fartoo zo hachee?

which translates to

What ails you so melancholy, quoth John, so cross?
You seem all snappish, uneasy, and fretful.
Lie with us on the clover, 'tis fair and sheltered:
Come nearer; you're rubbing your back; why so ill tempered?

this info is mostly from Wikipedia, has anyone else heard of this language? I find it interesting as it is the only language (besides Scots, and I consider that a very thick dialect) that evolved from Old English, alongside, but separate from, English.
Native: English (US)
Fluent: Français
Learning: русский язык
Hope to learn: Magyar, Tatar

Conlang projects: Aħkvm, upcoming unnamed project.
Cthulhu

Re: Yola

Postby Kietl » Fri 21 May 2010 8:52 am

On the previous forum there was a member called "heremæcg" (I believe?) who was interested in Yola and ran a wiki dedicated to it.

Really the only other source on Yola that I am aware of (other than Wikipedia) is a book called, rather exhaustively, A Glossary, With Some Pieces Of Verse, Of The Old Dialect Of The English Colony In The Baronies Of Forth And Bargy, County of Wexford, Ireland (1867) by Jacob Poole (the man responsible for compiling our knowledge of Yola). It's a very interesting read, with a wide variety of texts in Yola (and various related dialects), as well as a description of grammar and pronunciation.
The Kain - a conscript by W. Kruger
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Re: Yola

Postby Ciarán12 » Mon 26 Nov 2012 10:22 pm

I've recently become very interested in Yola. I've read A Glossary, With Some Pieces Of Verse, Of The Old Dialect Of The English Colony In The Baronies Of Forth And Bargy, County of Wexford, Ireland (1867) by Jacob Poole, but other than that there doesn't seem to be much available on the language. I also listened to an RTÉ radio programme on Yola called "Yola - Lost for Words", but I found it very uninformed.
Ciarán12

Return to Extinct languages