Vavileqel

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Vavileqel

Postby Vavva » Tue 06 Aug 2013 4:07 pm

Vavileqel was invented by me, Vavva, a year ago. In the Tower of Babel thread, I published some information about the language, and decided that I should post in my own thread if I should post more about it. Initiated by a wish for eliminating annoyances with Norwegian, my mother tongue, this language ended up somewhere between rural Norwegian and Hebrew in matters of style. So far I haven't translated that much to it, although I've done some Biblical translations (Lord's Prayer, Tower of Babel and various verses) and common phrases, so it should be viable to some degree. It has its own con-script, but it's not ready for digital usage yet.

The language has a V-S-O order and is written from right to left, partially a tribute to the Semitic touch I gave the language and part because I myself am left-handed and thus made it optimal to write. Vavileqel does not contain cases, e. g. all nouns are in nominative. However, just as with most Indo-European (and those based thereof) languages, numbers are important (a book, books etc.).

Stress is important to pronounce the words; otherwise, all vowels and consonants are of equal length, the stressed ones may be slightly longer for the sake of convenience, if needed. Stress is always on the [b]second last syllable/[b], except for when the word ends with an -i, -u, -al, -il, m or a grave accent is placed somewhere. Note: the diphtong ai overrides all these stresses.

IPA: /vɑvil'ɛxɛl/

Vavileqel has, as already mentioned, a custom, all-lowercase alphabet. It has 22 letters/sounds, and all letters are pronounced exactly the same each time. Diacritics and symbols, as well as numbers, are excluded. The pronounciation is more or less based on Norwegian, with some own sounds (click and lisp) and some Semitic-sounding ones.

a – alid - /ɑ/
b – belid - /b/
c – celid - /ç/ German "ich".
d – delid - /d/
e – elid - /ɛ/
h – helid - /h/
i – ilid - /i/
j – jelid - /ʃ/ English "share".
k – kelid - /k/, unintentionally aspirated in beginning of words (intuitively easier to say)
l- lelid - /l/ Not broad and English l.
m – melid - /m/
n - nalid - /n/
p – balid* - /p/ See k.
q – qelid - /x/ Russian "Mikhail" etc.
r – relid - /r/ Trilled r.
s – selid - /s/
t – telid - /t/ See k.
u – ulid - /ʉ/ Close to English "look".
v – velid - /v/
x – xelid – /ʪ/ Lateral lisp.
y – ylid - /y/ "True" y sound.
' - 'elid - I believe it is /ʛ/. Click sound.
*p must always be placed in the end of words; otherwise the letter b is used as a rule.
aä/eë/iï/uü - /ɑʔ'ɑ/ /ɛʔ'ɛ/ etc.
dash (-) - /./
´ - stress which overrides other rules (except ai)
In words with a ' (verbs and the word 'us "and"), the ' separates the word into two words by rules of letter-placing and stress. ________________________________________________________________________________

For the sake of convenience, the structure is very simplistic and does not prepare the user for long, comma-ridden sentences. In fact, commas aren't there at all! Only short sentences with a (for now) limited vocabulary are used here.
Here's the Lord's Prayer in Vavileqel, with a very literal, word-by-word translation to English. It doesn't make that much sense in the translations...

Ervebemi (our (the) father)
(Note: The translation is from Norwegian; thus, some may not recognise all the literal translations.)
A'ev ke ut be kemem erv-vé be mi. (are You in the heaven our the father.)
Lad'eë ke-vé be cem ilev a'ves. (Let Your the name hallowed be made.)
Lad'eë ke-vé be hitim maä've. (Let Your the kingdom come.)
Lad'eë ke-vé be tidel ut be havlu sas be kemem tid'ev. (Let your the will in/on the Earth as the heaven happen.)
Ji'eë dev erv yc erv-vé ycme be yrp 'us sixari'ev erv erv-vé be irsak sas sixari'ev erv erv-vé ibe irsakvu. (Give to we today our daily the bread and forgive we our the sins as forgive we our the sinner-people.)
Lad'eë erv dev be torvap maän-up'ev 'us sixari'eë erv dev be byl. (Let we to the temptation no-come and forgive/free we from the evil.)
A'ev be hitim ke-vé 'us a'ev ke-vé be aval 'us a'ev ke-vé be qajk dev idasel. (Is the kingdom Your and is Your the power and is Your the glory for forever.)
Amen. (Amen.)

I hope this gets somewhat appreciated! If you have any questions regarding the language or other matters, I will answer.

Vavva
Vavva
Wawwa
Βάββα
Вавва
Վավվա
ვავა

ڤاڤڤا
ואוו
वपववप
/'vɑvɑ/
Vavva

Re: Vavileqel

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Wed 07 Aug 2013 1:35 am

If I read this right, you have "y" as the vowel <y> and not the glide <j>. Is that right?
Dan_ad_nauseam

Re: Vavileqel

Postby Vavva » Wed 07 Aug 2013 12:27 pm

Yes, as a pure vowel and not a hybrid vowel-consonant, as it is in English. Like a "i" with more rounded lips, as it's pronounced in many languages, in addition to those where they use ü (although the sound differs slightly).
Vavva

Return to Conlangery