Solmeia

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Solmeia

Postby Anoran » Tue 25 Dec 2012 10:06 am

Tikolm wrote:That's all I can think of. Does that clarify anything?

I am actually fairly sure that I am thinking of is Classical Latin, given those pronunciations, and also the fact that it is the one (initially) taught at academic institutes. If people are talking Latin and haven't specified, then I generally assume Classical Latin. I know that some people consider any other form of Latin to 'not be' Latin. It is, however, the original (Well, disregarding Old Latin, anyway.).

Tikolm wrote:English may have phonemic voiced stops in initial position, but they tend to be realized as partially or fully devoiced. I tend to run to the fully devoiced with both stops and fricatives when not intervocalic, so any phonology based on my way of speaking would probably incorporate this feature.

Ah, see, this is probably common amongst certain accents or dialects (I'm not sure of any specific ones). When I speak, myself, I articulate all of the phonemes present in a word... Most of the time. There are some words where I get lazy, though... Y'know.

Tikolm wrote:I see what you were trying to say, but where does Greek come into the picture with Solmeia? (I'm sure you know that Latin isn't derived from Greek.)

Basically, the idea is that there are some 'artifacts' due to having an alphabet derived from another language family. Some Latin does have Greek roots, but its more conceptual than anything, in most cases.

Tikolm wrote:Do you mean the <u> or the [u]? I'm slightly confused.

I meant the [u]... I confused myself with that one, actually. I wrote <u> since although it was written in [kwual] it isn't significantly different from [w] in that case. Even though it's written in [ ]... Yeah. My bad.

Tikolm wrote:How can a pronunciation not reflected in the spelling occur in writing? What do you mean? :?

Straight from a textbook, and inserted into Wikipedia: "In the earliest Latin inscriptions, the letters C, K and Q were all used to represent the sounds /k/ and /g/ (which were not differentiated in writing). Of these, Q was used to represent /k/ or /g/ before a rounded vowel (e.g. "EQO" = ego), K before /a/, and C elsewhere. Later, the use of C (and its variant G) replaced most usages of K and Q: Q survived only to represent /k/ when immediately followed by a /w/ sound." (See Article)

Right. I think that's all! (Oh yeah. Merry Christmas!)
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Previous

Return to Conlangery