Conlang for a race of Angels

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.
Great Angemon

Conlang for a race of Angels

Postby Great Angemon » Sat 17 Jan 2015 5:24 pm

Finally, after an untold number of resets and a lengthy hiatus, I am back to working on a conlang. This conlang is for a race of angels in a story I want to write, but I need to have the conlang at least started to begin writing.

The angels are humans that, through the power of their gods, are revived, their bodies restored and empowered. Since they have human bodies, they are restricted to human sounds. In addition, their language is simplified, so that it only has 6 consonantal sounds and 3 vowels.

The sounds are bilabial fricative f, Alveolar plosive d, Alveolar Nasal n, post alveolar fricative ʃ, Palatal Nasal ɲ and Palatal approximate j. Vowels are front open a, front mid-closed e, and back closed u. Word structure is (C(V)-ʃ-V)CV(C)(CV).

Any help with devising phonotactics would help. Thanks.

Great Angemon

Re: Conlang for a race of Angels

Postby Great Angemon » Sun 18 Jan 2015 12:29 am

Two additional things I'd like to mention, this is only one of four languages that I need for the story, and I know it seems like I ask questions and leave, but that's because I keep starting and hating what I'm doing, and then I start again. So ech.

Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Tue 20 Jan 2015 1:40 am

First observation is that you have set up a potential VV pairing that needs to be clarified as either wV or dipthongs.

Great Angemon

Postby Great Angemon » Tue 20 Jan 2015 6:52 pm

Can you explain where the VV pairing would be, and what xV means, please?

Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Thu 22 Jan 2015 2:11 am

Your structure is (C(V)-ʃ-V)CV(C)(CV). The (C(V)-(-V). . . onset leads to a potential CVV. . . onset.

Of your three identified vowels, only [u] is likely to become a glide before a vowel, and the most likely glide is /w/. This leads to a potential /w/ before vowel, or wV.

Great Angemon

Postby Great Angemon » Thu 22 Jan 2015 6:21 pm

Your structure is (C(V)-ʃ-V)CV(C)(CV). The (C(V)-(-V). . . onset leads to a potential CVV. . . onset.

The parenthesis around the V in (C(V)-ʃ-V) is to show that if you can use the vowel without the consonant, but you can't use the consonant without the vowel. Also, if you use the vowel, you need to use the ʃ-V after it before using the CV.

Incidentally, I've changed the structure to (C(V)-ʃ-V)CVC(VC) with a vowel at the end to show gender.

Great Angemon

Postby Great Angemon » Fri 23 Jan 2015 7:11 am

Another question I've got, and it's more of a stylistic thing than anything, but how should I separate affixes from the main word so that the, let's say noun, isn't obscured? Like, so that I can still see its gender.

Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 24 Jan 2015 1:41 am

Sounds like you might want to consider an agglutinative morphology with gender at the outer end.

Great Angemon

Postby Great Angemon » Wed 28 Jan 2015 3:24 am

Alright, so we'll see if this makes sense to anyone besides me.

Let's say that the base of the word is šen, meaning person. I add an e to the end to give it the gender of Divine. Or, I can add an a to give it the gender of Evil, or a U, to give it the gender of Mortal. Then I wanted to give it an affix to make it male, and I did an agglutinative morphology with gender at the end, it'd be šen-affix-u, and it'd mean man?

Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 31 Jan 2015 7:01 am

That's basically it. If you want to inflect for anything else, give them a set order and put them earlier in the series.

Return to “Conlangery”