The "Tower of Babel" in your conlang

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: The "Tower of Babel" in your conlang

Postby Tovel » Mon 29 Oct 2012 8:18 pm

It looks very interesiting and smooth (in a good sense) and with a lot of voiced fricatives (if I'm wrong, tell me). Have you some post with the phonology and the grammar?
Native: Català
Prefectly: Castellano
I can defend me: English, Français
I have some knowledge and learning: lingua latina, русский язык, 日本語, עִבְרִית, Cymraeg.
Own: tollir
Tovel

Postby choc_pud » Mon 29 Oct 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks for commenting, here is a bit of background to the language:

Fenlian (or Fenx) is spoken by approximately nine-thousand people living on the Isle of Fenley, which is one island of a small archipelago (the Boland Isles) off the north-east English coast. It had no written form until 1785, when an English linguist named Arthur Crough (pronounced “krok”) visited the island, learnt the local language, and invented an orthography for it, rather akin as to what was done for Manx. He based the Fenlian orthography heavily on the English orthography, but as the language had many more phonemes than English, he was forced to create several extra digraphs. The written form is much the same as it was then, only slightly changed due to sound-changes of the spoken tongue.

Here is the orthography, starting with the basic alphabet:

a=/æ/ when short, /ɑ/ when long
b=/b/
c=/k/; /s/ when before e & i
d=/d/; very rarely /θ/ before e & i
e=/e/ when short, /ɪː/ when long
f=/v/
g=/g/
h=/h/
i=/ɪ/ when short, /ɪː/ when long
l=/l/. Always “slender l”
m=/m/
n=/n/
o=/ɔ/ when short, /oʊ/ when long
p=/p/
r=/r/
s=/s/; rarely /ʃ/ before e & i
t=/t/; very rarely /θ/ before e & i
u=/ə/ when short, /ʊ/ when long. Occasionally /w/ before other vowels
y=/j/

Digraphs:

bh=/tɬ/
ch=/x/
dh=/ç/
fh=/h/
gh=/Ø/ (silent)
lh=/ɬ/
ll=/ɬ̢/
ng=/ŋ/
ph=/f/
rh=/ʀ/
sh=/ʃ/
th=/θ/
tg=/tʃ/

ae, ay, a-e=/ɛː/
ai, ia=/aɪ/
ar=/ɑ/
ea, ee, ei, ey, e-e=/ɪː/
eu, iu=/jʊ/
er=/əː/
oe, o-e=/əʊ/
or=/ɔː/
uu, u-e=/uː/

The gh combination is used only to seperate vowels that would otherwise create a digraph, and once (in the word “logh”) to represent the sound /x/. Fenlian has the “magic e” as in English, and gh is used most often to signify that the preceding vowel is still sort, even though the next vowel is an e (a good example is the word for 'good', “phrorghrorbghech”). Gh also sometimes appears so as to seperate consonants that would create a digraph, or to keep the original pronunciation of a c before an e or an i.

A vowel is automatically long if followed by two consonants, and automatically short if followed by only one, as in English and German. Sometimes an acute accent (´) is used to show that a “magic e” is pronounced as an ordinary e aswell as changing the previous vowel.

If a word ending in a vowel phoneme is followed by a word beginning in a vowel phoneme, the second word is preceded by “dh-” (as can be seen numerous times in my translation of the Tower of Babel).

The grammar is quite simple; there are no conjugations (I think that's right?) of verbs except to show possesion? What I mean is, it has stuff like the -er on the end of the word 'driver', to mean someone who drives. Except that there are male and female versions. Anything negative can be shown by the suffix “-logh” on a verb or adverb or whatev. So for example, 'I am good' is “Ygh tgef phrorghrorbghech”; 'I am not good' is “Ygh tgef phrorghrorbghechlogh”. 'He goes' is “bhar co”; 'he does not go' is “bhar cologh”.

To show a verb as being in the past tense, one adds the word “bha” before the verb, so 'he did go' is “bhar bha co”. For the future tense one adds the word “aguss” before the verb, so 'he will go' is “bhar aguss co”. 'He will not go' is “bhar aguss cologh”.

Superlatives are shown by the word “bhcarrighan” being placed before the adjective, for example 'the biggest cat' is “nga bhcarrighan cochghe cghatt”, literally 'the most big cat”.

Plurals are shown by the suffix “-bha”. 'The cats' is “nga cghattbha”.

I hope that that was at least remotely interesting and informative!
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby ConnorRobertM » Sun 06 Jan 2013 8:05 pm

I don't know if it will change from this point, but here is The "Tower of Babel" in my conlang Hanske-

"Den Turret ov Bæbel"

1. Hræþur, fjorden var har en tøngue og som øres.

2. Og et folks var mygrær frau østuren, þajr var fyrsikt præren elþ fjorden ov Sjynne og var forsækt der.

3. Og þajr var besige til ellg, “Øl kommer, viþ vilt yr gasts, og brul hed syrvæld.” Og þajr var har gast fyryr marmer, og blægtop fyryr myrtur.

4. Derefter, þajr var besige, “Øl kommer, viþ vilt rake en hævn fyryr oþen, og en turret med det’s tæper elþ kælumen, og viþ yr en nim fyryr oþen, lyster viþ eldrig dryft syg ik ov fjorden.

5. Og Hyrt var kommer daged til sy hævnen og turreten, den en barns ov mann var rake.

6. Og Hyrten var besige, “Øremærke, þajr er en folks, og þajr hare en tøngue, og et er ernest op þuren ov hva þajr vilt øl. Og nor en hægl erl þajr skylg til øl vilt eit eldrig hoþæg fyryr hed.

7. Øl kommer, viþ vilt eþæf daged og der mosk þajrs tøngue, þys erl þajr hereþrym jøþe ellg nyþund.

8. Þys Hyrten var dryft hed frau der syg iken ov ellg fjorden, og þajr vestur þosk op rake hævnen.

9. Myrþ det’s nim iske Bæbel, skor der Hyrten var mosk tønguen ov ellg fjorden. Og der Hyrten var
dryft hed syg iken ov ellg fjorden.

-Enjoy! :D
Fluent- English (Native)
Basic- French
Future- Danish, Icelandic, Czech, Welsh

Conlangs- Hanske, New Norse, and other silly ones made in five minutes.
ConnorRobertM

Postby choc_pud » Sun 06 Jan 2013 9:25 pm

Wow ConnerRobertM, that looks great! It's easy to tell which language group Hanske belongs to! I put your post into GoogleTranslate, and it asked me if I meant to translate from Danish. I take it that "og" means "and", and that æ is pronounced as in Danish?

:ugeek:
choc_pud

Postby ConnorRobertM » Mon 07 Jan 2013 5:15 pm

@choc_pud,
Thanks! That means a lot. Yup, it was really inspired by Danish and Icelandic, it's weird for me to look at it now, because it started off based on Czech! The æ is pronounced as it is in Danish. Yes, 'og' is 'and'. I'm sure you recognize the Þ and the Ø, (though I changed the pronunciation of Ø a little bit.)
-Connor :D
Fluent- English (Native)
Basic- French

ConnorRobertM

Postby choc_pud » Tue 08 Jan 2013 5:24 pm

Hello ConnorRobertM,

How are Þ and Ø pronounced? I'm very much interested in the Scandinavian languages, and am making one of my own at present. Please could you tell me some information about Hanske phonology and orthography and grammar? It would help me much with my own Scandinavian conlang, Ëskke ['eɪ-sxə]. Thankyou!

:ugeek:
choc_pud

Postby ConnorRobertM » Wed 09 Jan 2013 1:19 am

Hmm. Well, the throrn (Þ) is pronounced like the th in 'math.' The Ø however, is a little harder to explain. It has no English equivalent, it's kind of a sound that you make when you feel sick. ;) Just go to an IPA chart I guess and click the Ø symbol to hear it.

As for grammar, I'm still working that out. I was going to copy the grammar of old english, but that proved to be much too difficult. I then eliminated masculine and feminine completely, and used 'var' (did) for past-tense verbs, and 'op' (do) for ongoing present tense verbs like running, singing etc. I have 4 different cases- (taken from the dictionary I am working on,)

Cases
Hannish has a selection of helpful grammatical cases that further the specificness of a sentence or phrase. Here is a list of the cases and how to conjugate them.
1- Locative case- Used to specify a location: in\on\at the house. House, which is oppdage, would turn into oppdageved.
We live in a house- Yst liv eld en oppdageved.
2- Accusative case- indicates the direct object of a verb: The clerk remembered us. With this case, the word stays the same.
The clerk remembered us- Kassaparatmolmandøren mæned on.
3- The instrumental case indicates an object used in performing an action: We wiped the floor with a mop. Mop is børste, børste would be changed to børstem. (You add an M, or an em at the end.)
We wiped the floor with a mop- Yst slørd polen med en børstem.
4- Vialis case- Explains how you traveled: We got there by subway. Subway is undergryndstasjon. This would be undergryndstasjonet.
We got there by subway- Yst bletil der med en undergryndstasjonet.

Of course, I still have a long way to go with this, it's the beginnings though! Thanks for your comment, and I'd love to see some excerpts from your Scandinavian conlang. :)
Fluent- English (Native)
Basic- French

ConnorRobertM

Postby mousefire55 » Sat 12 Jan 2013 10:40 pm

Síyähärä:

Täng Sokätsu ös Bäbël
1 Äyä tëmë skund yärď zërnag onën sílnď, äyä onën sosílnď.
2 Äyä híst yagë zërnël, kwär þörürög täng þyumhäyär, ďlrä undëhög šä kwänd är täng härä ös šenär; äyä þat yähög þönru.
3 Äyä þat žälög, «Köëř vërk, yísnänë stënër fäš stën, äyä äšon fäš stënä.»
4 Äyä þat žälög vërk onën šä sokätsu, níctšä hwë ävít köag vërk Dočoþu; äyä utsyínänë šä cändäm, ök kävänë twä tëmë skund.
5 Äyä täng Vehítä þörurog vërk þat vehär tëmë vürgën äyä tëmë sokätsu, erø tëmë hístäřšä yísnög.
6 Äyä täng Vehítä žälog, «Wehëž, tëmë slävøv* zërnön onën, äyä þat känön äk onën sílnď; äyä ivë kwon hwÿär: äyä caön níaď ÿkäløn nocën þat, erø ütsžälön hwÿär.»
7 «Köëř vërk, utsþöruränë vërk þat, äyä þönru kalänë þatšä sílnď, nyos xøwak níl onën šä vyäng.»
8 Nyos täng Vehítä kävänë nocën þonru twä äk ös tëmë skund: äyä kríg yísnög tëmë vürgën.
9 Nyos zërnø tëmë cändäm ös'të vürgën Bäbël, žo täng Vehítä kalog tëmë sílnď ös äk tëmë skund.

*Slävøv can be offensive to some, replace with čívøv if so.
Native: English
Near-fluent: Español
Learning: Lingua Latina, Deutsch, Русская, Čeština
Wants to learn: Gàidhlig, Mongɣol kele
My conlangs: Síyähärä, Ekeçpağoli

My Conlangs Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/yaharabooklang/home
mousefire55

Postby Vavva » Wed 31 Jul 2013 4:20 pm

Behold, the conlang Vavileqel.

Be dilip ut be babelp (Gen 11, 1-9)

[1]Xak’et ’us dirp’et cid be havlu. [2] Nam’et ut merv dev muci yvym’et merv urud be kap ut be sinearp ’us ivbi’et ut be sinearp. [3] Qim’tes merv Maä’eë jeqi’ev erv ije ïm-uresk ’us veq’ev merv! Kur’et merv ïm ’us lubúm be vi-ink. [4] Qim’et merv Maä’eë jeqi’ev erv je dack ’us je dilip ut be kemem ’us uvi’ev je cem ’us el-mup’ter dev havlu!
[5] Maän’et be LAHIM ’us kul’er be dack ’us be dilip me ibe jeqi’et ibe vu. [6] Qim’et be LAHIM Kul’eë a’ev merv ir isel’us xak’ev merv cid. Ven-le’ev merv jeqi’ev je dack! Le-up’ves a-up’ver yrd mevrecýt. [7] Maän’eë, erv maän’er dev be havlu ’us rulu’ev merv-vé be xak! [8] Elm’et vener LAHIM merv dev cid be havlu ’us jeqi-up’et merv be dack. [9] Cem’et didcýt merv be babelp barv rulu’et be LAHIM ibe xak dev be babelp. Elm’et vener be LAHIM dev be babelp dev cid be havlu.

This isn't technically based on anything save my imagination and a somewhat Hebrew/Arabic touch, with some word ideas from my native language Norwegian and a couple of others.
Basic pronunciation guide:
a - /ɑ/
b - /b/
c - /ç/
d - /d/
e - /ɛ/
h - /h/
i - /i/
j - /ʃ/
k - /k/
l - /l/
m - /m/
n - /n/
p - /p/
q - /x/
r - /r/
s - /s/
t - /t/
u - /ʉ/
v - /v/
x - tricky one. I don't know this one phonetically. It's kinda like a lisped s at the sides of the tongue. See lisp sounds at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensions_to_the_IPA.
' - Click sound. Although I'm not sure exactly which, I think it is the phonetic /ʛ/. Tricky.
- - /ʔ/
¨ - vowel + ʔ + stressed vowel where the ¨stands.
Accent merely depicts stress where the rules aren't followed (second last is stressed, except for when the word ends in certain letters). All vowels and consonants are of equal length.
Vavileqel is then pronounced /vɑvil'ɛxel/.

Vavva
Vavva

Postby xadrezo » Wed 22 Jan 2014 7:08 pm

This thread seames "not active", oh well.
Anyway, "The Tower of Babel" in C(z)uimese:

1. Uai ao rojem ha tenè unem lengüem ge palavres iguales.
2. Ge quando umanos se ieriatum nah estei, iu han findù unem planiçem em el janarelu Chinaros ge han vo em gileme.
3. Ge iu han do unai ge otrai: "Jiguem, eziamos tijoloes ge ardiamos iu em fuegue!" Han uzè tijoloes nel pedraes ge asphaltoem como calui.
4. Yeto han do: "Jiguem, contruxeemos unem çidadium paa noçu, com unae toree que ha valessioem nah çilui, ge exo eziamos unem xajem paa noçu ge nel çimos separè çima aji rojemi yanu."
5. Sed ao SENIOR ha jiguè baixei paa siar lia çidadium ge lia tore que aojos umanos fuitum construxeante.
6. Ao SENIOR ha do: "Si iu han quomiz construxear lise como una povo dorante em unae lenguae, nel que planum vit zer nelezeravel paa içu.
7. Jiguem, i jigue baixei ge confuse lia lengüem iço paa iu nel puodum hejiar unem ge otrem."
8. Exo ao SENIOR ha separè iu d'alìe çima aji rojemi yanu ge han haltù construxear lia çidadium.
9. Paagilem lisi et do como Babel - paagilem alì ao SENIOR ha confusè lia lengüem aju rojemis yanes. D'alìe ao SENIOR ha separè iu çima aji rojemis yanu.
xadrezo [ʃɐdɾezu]

INSTITUTO PIERO: SIMPRA NELFALIBILE
PEAR TREE INSTITUTE: ALWAYS INFALLIBLE

Native German
Conversational English
Basic Spanish, Portuguese, Talossan
Really damn basic Latin, Esperanto?
My conlangs Czuimese, +1984 (appr) more
xadrezo

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery