Conilà

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Conilà

Postby Tikolm » Sat 16 Jun 2012 9:24 pm

I seem to be monopolizing the Conlangery forum these days, but just the same I'm going to make yet another thread. This time, I'm going to introduce you to yet another of my conlangs -- Conilan, or Conilà. It's basically French without the distinctive sound changes and retained spelling that make it unusual. It also uses the passé simple in speech as well as writing. More later, because I have to leave for my dance recital soon. Al rever. :)
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Re: Conilà

Postby Tikolm » Sun 17 Jun 2012 1:50 am

Que dir? Yo no sais. (What to say? I don't know./Tlōs cwum? Ro si psico.)
I'm kind of at a loss here, so I'll start with a phonology (of course):
a [a]
b [b]
c [k, s] (same as English or French)
d [d]
e [e, E] ([e] in open syllables; [E] in closed ones)
f [f]
g [g, Z] (same as French)
h [silent]
i [i]
j [Z]
k [k]
l [l]
ll [I don't know yet]
m [m]
n [n]
o [o, O] ([o] in open syllables; [O] in closed ones)
p [p]
q, qu [k]
r [4]
s [s]
t [t]
u [u]
v [v]
w [isn't]
x [isn't]
y [i, j] (same idea as French or Spanish)
z [z]

Okay, what I really meant with c, g and y is: c and g are "soft" in front of i and e. Y is [j] only when next to a vowel. And if there's "silent" in the brackets it means just that. Same with "isn't" -- that means we don't use that letter. Just so you know, this isn't my ideal way of setting up the phonology, but because it's a Romance language I don't really have a choice. At the very least, it's easier to learn than French on the spelling front. That's kind of the whole purpose here.
Some people hate seeing number systems first, so I won't give you that next. Instead, I'm going to tell you a tad about grammar and syntax. Word order is SVO, of course, unless there's a question (fais tu tus deveres?) in which case it's VSO. (The example sentence means "are you doing your homework?". :P) The second person imperative doesn't require a subject. There is no third person imperative, unlike in Tikolmian.
The same set of tenses exist in Conilan as in French, but I haven't worked them all out yet. We'll get there. :) For now, you'll have to be happy with the inevitable numbers:
un = 1
dos = 2
treis = 3
quatro = 4
cinco = 5
sis = 6
sete = 7
oto = 8
novo = 9
dis = 10
once = 11
doce = 12
treice = 13
quatorce = 14
quince = 15
seice = 16
disisete/dis-sete = 17
disioto/dis-oto = 18
disinovo/dis-novo = 19
vinte = 20
vinte e un = 21
vinte-dos = 22
trenta = 30
quaranta = 40
cinquanta = 50
seicenta = 60
seicenta-dis = 70
quatro-vintes = 80
quatro-vintes-dis = 90
cento = 100
millo = 1,000
dis millo = 1,0,000
cento millo = 10,0,000
miliono = 1,00,0,000
miliardo = 1,0,00,00,0,000
biliono = 1,000,0,00,00,0,000
...and so on and so forth. I think you get where I'm going with this, and I think you should know that I made most of this up on the spot. I sort of have rules for deriving Conilan from French, but they're too hard to explain.
Oh, and you'll be thinking all those commas are pretty strange. That's because I like to put in commas every fourth digit but the convention is to put them in every third digit. :P
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Re: Conilà

Postby Tikolm » Sat 14 Jul 2012 6:48 pm

I suppose I should post the 1st article of the UDHR here, because I have it written up and all. Here it is:
Tos los estares humanos nasan libres e egalos en dignitad e dreitos. Illos son duados con rason e consciença e deivan agir los unos enverso los altros dan un esprito de fraternitad.
Please figure out the transcription for yourselves, because I don't have it anywhere useful.

In fact, in all honesty, I haven't been working on Conilan at all lately and probably won't be any more. If you would really like to see more of this language, then as they say, speak now, or forever hold your peace. :P
Tikolm

Return to Conlangery