Story translation relay

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Story translation relay

Postby Elijah » Sun 19 Feb 2012 4:25 pm

See http://dedalvs.conlang.org/relay/ for more info...

I'd love to do an Omniglot conlang relay. Who's in?
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Re: Story translation relay

Postby Elijah » Sun 19 Feb 2012 4:41 pm

A possible story -
I was reading a book in my kitchen one day, when I heard a scratching noise at the door. My little black cat had brought in a dead mouse and laid it on the doorstep. I smiled at him, and continued reading.
The next day, I was cooking soup in my kitchen, when I heard a scratching noise at the door. My little black cat had brought in a rather big dead rat and laid it on the doorstep. I reprimanded him, threw the rat into the trash, and continued cooking soup.
The next day, I was eating dinner with my family, when I heard a scratching noise at the door. My little black cat had lugged in a huge brown dead beaver, and laid it on the doorstep. I and my family gaped, and then I got the sense to get up and throw the beaver into a nearby river. When I had resumed eating dinner, my neighbor came to the door screaming, "What is my cat doing in your house?" I was frozen, and I could not reply. The little black cat was mine, not my neighbor's! He picked the cat up, and walked back to his house. I ran out the door, chasing after him.
And then I woke up, and my little black cat was sitting on my chest, purring contentedly, as if he knew what had happened in my dream.
Elijah

Postby Sprochamaedli » Sat 25 Feb 2012 8:59 pm

Do you want us to give all the information that's listed in that link or can we just give the translation and explain the semantics/pronunciation?
наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте...
------------
Native:English
Proficient: deutsch, schwiizerdütsch, русский язык
Understand a little: français, español, italiano, cymraeg, 한국, and more
Sprochamaedli

Postby Elijah » Sun 26 Feb 2012 4:40 pm

Maybe the text, and then a gloss below it, to make it easier.

Here I quote him:

"This is how it works:

First, you receive the latest iteration of the relay text with all the instructions and information necessary to translate it. That should include:

The text, of course, in a readable format (either in X-SAMPA, or some type of romanization).

Enough grammatical information to decipher the text (e.g., if the text has a headless relative, then there had better be an explanation in the grammar of how headless relatives work in that language. If you have a website, you're encouraged to provide a link to it in your e-mail).

A glossary, including all the necessary lexical information needed to translate the text (i.e., don't put your entire dictionary into the e-mail, but do include all the roots used, and all the necessary information to be able to derive each of the forms used in the text).

An explanation of the abbreviations and terminology used. (You can assume every participant will know that, e.g., "n" = "noun", "v" = "verb", and "adj" = "adjective, but if "nom" = "nominalizer" and not "nominative", be sure to say so.)

With all the information you have received, start deciphering the text. If you are really struggling (or if the stuff you received lacks some vital info), you may query the preceding conlanger by private email, but remember that he/she may not give you a sustained translation. If you are still having trouble and feel you cannot, for whatever reason, translate the text, notify the Relay Master and the Relay List immediately, so that the text can be passed on to the next participant. Should this happen, you can request to be moved to the end (time permitting).

Translate the text into your own conlang. If there are things you still don't understand in the source language, make an educated guess: it's better to have a consistent story based on a more-than-free translation than a word-for-word translation that makes no sense.

After you have made a version in your own language, send three emails:

To the next participant: the new text in your language, glossary and grammatical instruction, but NO SMOOTH ENGLISH TRANSLATION. (This latter is extremely important, as passing on an English translation will, in effect, ruin the relay--or, at the very least, the turn of the following player.) Important: do not give more information than necessary for deciphering the text.

To the Relay Master: the same as above, but INCLUDING A SMOOTH ENGLISH TRANSLATION of the text in your conlang. Optionally, you may also add a smooth translation of the text you received; such a translation will demonstrate how well you have understood your source text, and how you implemented that into your own conlang.

To the Relay List: an announcement that you have passed the torch to so and so. Important: DO NOT POST YOUR TRANSLATION TO THE LIST!!!

You have 48 hours to complete your task. If nobody has heard anything from you after that period, you will mercilessly be passed over. If you see in advance that you won't be able to remain within the schedule, please notify the Relay Master and the relay list as soon as possible, so that you can be either rescheduled or given a dispensation. A typical "relay day" starts at 12:00 AM (PDT) and ends at 11:59 PM (PDT). [Note: We're using Pacific Time because I live in sunny Southern California.]"

That's what he says. But I think maybe 48 hours is a little short: maybe 72 hours (4 days) per translation would work for our purposes.
Elijah

Return to Conlangery