Idhyom Nis

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Idhyom Nis

Postby raj50 » Fri 30 Dec 2011 2:19 am

Hello! I'm new to this forum, as I've started conlanging recently. It's called Idhyom Nis (Our Language) and it's something of a mixture of many different languages I've looked at. For example, the alphabet looks somewhat Russian, with some letters I've made up thrown in. The vocabulary is kind of latin, kind of russian, and a lot of words I've invented. It's still a work in progress, because I only started on it two or three days ago. I'll be using a transliteration that I'll outline here, as I have no way of using the alphabet of Idhyom Nis, as far as I know. Letters marked with an asterisk are pronounced as in English.

a = father
b*
d = Spanish initial D (never giddy, lottery or querido)
dh = the
e = pet (not seek)
eo = uhh, love
f*
g*
ch = rojo, bach
i = leak
k*
l* (more of the light L that most western European languages use, and not, say, a Russian L)
m*
n*
o =moat
p*
r = the rolled R of rojo, para
s* (but always voiceless)
sh*
t*
u = Ooh!, azul
v*
x*
y*
j = azure
z*

I'll also be using acute accents to show where the stress falls in a word, as I really have no definitive rule for it.

Pronouns:
I = Echá
We = Echájni
You = Tujét
You (plural/formal) = Tujeteokról
He = Ayél
She = Ayéla
They = Ayeleójni

Idhyom Nis is spoken in the fictional city-state of Agrazia (Ákreja). It lies on a small island in the Mediterranean Sea. It's population consists of Italians, Turks, and Russians who immigrated there and have been on the island for many generations. The Agrazians are very proud of their language, which developed naturally through decades of them all living together on one island.

To end this first post, I'll write a couple Idhyom Nis sentences here.

Echá áxi, ja ayélza sha jnáxi, ja echájniza ayéla esilibereójche dayéga le.
I think, that he(past indicator) not know, that we(past indicator) him those-books give already.
I think that he didn't know that we had already given him those books.

Tujétva ayéla paraláxi le, ja kirnimórak teletrofáxilu?
You(recent p. indicator) him tell yet, that children want-eat(near future indicator)?
Have you told him yet that the children will want to eat soon?
raj50

Re: Idhyom Nis

Postby raj50 » Sat 31 Dec 2011 4:07 am

Okay, next, numbers!

The Idhyom Nis numbering system isn't really different from that of English.

1 = Il
2 = Dhi
3 = Térna
4 = Kuátz
5 = Shin
6 = Réka
7 = Shátzta
8 = Ok
9 = Éne
10 = Dhyóka

20, 30 and so on are formed by taking the number (Dhi, Terna) and just adding the number dhyoka onto it (Dhidhyóka, Ternadhyóka). If the number ends in a consonant, add "eo" and then dhyoka(Kuatzeodhyóka, Shineodhyóka, Okeodhyóka). 100, 200, and so on are formed in the same manner, only "le" is added to the end of dhyoka (Dhyokale, Kuatzeodhyokále).

That's all for numbers for to today. So next, tense markers/syntax!

Syntax: (Adj.)-subject - indirect object - direct object - verb(Adv.)

Tense markers:

Present = (none)
Past = za
Recent past = va
Future = mu
Near future = lu
Hypothetical = ke, ba

These are added to the end of the verb when pronouns are not present in the clause, and the end of the pronoun otherwise.

Yar echáke cháxi meório, libereójche kimvréxiba.
If I(hyp. marker) have money, books buy(hyp. marker)
If I had money, I would buy books.

-ke is always used in the first clause of hypothetical sentences, and -ba in the second. Note that if ke and ba were to be taken out, the meaning would change to "If I have money...(by then, that day, today)" and if only one were taken out, the sentence would be ungrammatical. It is also possible, after the first clause and if the subject of the proceeding clause(s) is the same as the first, to drop the subject from proceeding clauses. This is shown in the sentence above.

'Till next time!
raj50

Return to Conlangery