Syllable Structure

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Syllable Structure

Postby linguoboy » Sun 13 Nov 2011 9:26 am

Emma wrote:*and the first rule with the word boundary # can be split, correct? :oops: *

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Emma wrote:
The second rule simply says that a vowel is deleted when it comes before another vowel, regardless of where this is.

Regardless of where it is...?

In contrast to the first rule, which specifies that the consonants must be word-initial. If we didn't have that specification, then a word like renzin would be split into *renVzin because the structure is CVCCVC.

Emma wrote:*Well my friend and I have come to a tough spot. She doesn't want elision, I do. :lol: She wants epenthesis (using a glide) or avoidance by adding another consonant in the hiatus situation

Those are both forms of epenthesis. The consonant involved doesn't have to be a glide; common epenthetic consonants include [h] (a fricative) and [ʔ] (a stop).
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Re: Syllable Structure

Postby Emma » Tue 15 Nov 2011 5:04 am

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm sorry. I keep forgetting to double check my posts to make sure I'm making sense. :? I mean:

When spanick was explaining how to write the empathetic rule (Ø → V / C ____ C), he said it was -- the rule -- only possible if the word was prefixed to another. Is it possible to have both rules present, so the words do not always have to be attached to each other? Because in this case, I wouldn't want the words to always be prefixed/attached to one another. So I was curious if this could be done?

In contrast to the first rule, which specifies that the consonants must be word-initial. If we didn't have that specification, then a word like renzin would be split into *renVzin because the structure is CVCCVC.

So the first rule is specifying consonants must be word-initial, but the second rule must come first?

Those are both forms of epenthesis. The consonant involved doesn't have to be a glide; common epenthetic consonants include [h] (a fricative) and [ʔ] (a stop).

Oh! I tell her if she doesn't already know. :D
*she loves vowels I guess.*
Emma

Previous

Return to Conlangery