Reviving or Restarting Omni

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Reviving or Restarting Omni

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sun 02 Aug 2009 9:58 pm

We have most of the grammar information, but I think we need to recollect the known vocabulary.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby Kloiten » Mon 03 Aug 2009 12:08 am

There's a lot of vocabulary in Mayatec's grammar web-page. It's a substantial amount, I might add, enough for restoration. We don't have to recover every single Omni word, right?
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby adelgado » Mon 03 Aug 2009 9:57 pm

I have started up a wiki at omniconlang.wikidot.com so that we can have an information hub on the language.

Let's post material such as the already published grammar (Which I don't know where are), the vocabulary already developed.

We can have a dictionary with a compilation of vocabulary for reference. Maybe a 'canonical' dictionary with accepted-use words and a 'beta' dictionary with propositions of words to cover new meanings and discussions about these words. That way we can achieve conciseness and not have many words for the same meaning with different people using different words. (Jes, mi rigardas al vin!)

Anyone here who wants to have access will be granted so on demand, so that everybody can edit and add knowlegde ^^

Hope this boosts again development!
adelgado

Postby Neqitan » Tue 04 Aug 2009 6:19 am

Hmmm... May I vote to restart the whole thing? This time planning the flavor (the phonotactics) of the language first and then anything goes? I mean, Omni as it is looks kinda messy... And a conlang's flavor is usually defined just by the phonotactics and the orthography, then the creator throws as many grammar oddities as he wants.
Last edited by Neqitan on Tue 04 Aug 2009 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neqitan

Postby Kloiten » Tue 04 Aug 2009 6:20 am

Sounds tempting, but all that work for nothing... :cry:

If we go for the restart idea, I vote a conlang with a Finnish sound.
Kloiten

Postby Neqitan » Tue 04 Aug 2009 6:22 am

Finnish? If I just knew how Finnish sounds... xD (Me and my lack of affection toward Europe.)
Neqitan

Postby Kietl » Tue 04 Aug 2009 7:52 am

Hi guys, just wanted to put in my two cents.

I am against restarting Omni over again, especially if we're going to go back to the method that was used at the very very beginning and ultimately failed. The original methodology for going about creating Omni was exactly what Neqitan has suggested: hashing it out with the phonotactics and orthography first and building grammar separately afterward in a "logical" fashion.
Unfortunately, for a project of this kind that method doesn't work--we tried it already the first time. All that happens is that people become enmired in creating the "flavor" of the conlang and can't progress further.

No, the best way to build Omni, IMO, is exactly how mayatec put it on the second restart: to let the language grow just like a natural language would. A natural language doesn't progress logically from building sounds and having people agree that they sound good--it simply starts in whatever form it's in and the speakers (or writers!) alter it from there.

That is the best chance for any progress to be made with Omni--to simply keep the structure open-source for anyone to suggest modifications. That way if you don't like the "flavor" of the language you can simply suggest alterations that bring it closer to how you want it.

Although everyone's opinion may not be accepted by the majority at first, eventually things will shift to the optimum form for everyone to be satisfied.

And that's way over my two cents. Sorry for the epistle. I'm just really into this. :P I hope I've been clear enough.
The Kain - a conscript by W. Kruger
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby Kloiten » Tue 04 Aug 2009 5:59 pm

@Kietl: That sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure how that would work. Do you mean just throwing in random bits of grammar plus some words whenever you need them and expect everyone else to use them? :| Not sure if that will work on a forum. IRL, maybe, though. Or maybe an IRC channel.

@Neqitan: Sadly, I can't find any good samples of Finnish conversation on Youtube. Songs, though, are rampant, although since songs are songs they can't really give someone a good glimpse of the language.
Kloiten

Postby Kietl » Tue 04 Aug 2009 8:01 pm

@Kietl: That sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure how that would work. Do you mean just throwing in random bits of grammar plus some words whenever you need them and expect everyone else to use them? :| Not sure if that will work on a forum. IRL, maybe, though. Or maybe an IRC channel.

Well, obviously there would have to be some "rules" governing how things are suggested. I think that we had a pretty good system back on the old forum: if someone has an idea--whether it be grammatical, phonological, orthographic, whatever--they can formulate it into a suggestion and explain it thoroughly to others. People can try it out, decide if they like it or not, suggest other alterations (limitations or expansions), etc.. Eventually the suggestion may become an integral part of the conlang.

The only limit, I suppose, would be to avoid suggestions that radically alter what is already "decided" or universally shift something throughout the whole conlang. If someone wants to effect a radical change of some kind they should go about it in a gradual manner--just like changes in any natural language.

So, pretty much, I'm not really in favor of limiting the discussion/creation of Omni to one specific subject and then trying to set up a voting process in some rigid, systematic way. Just let it grow out of what we already have--if the majority of people don't like it now, they are free to change it gradually into what they want.
The Kain - a conscript by W. Kruger
N'ketle - an artlang
Kietl

Postby Talib » Wed 05 Aug 2009 12:02 am

Neqitan wrote:Finnish? If I just knew how Finnish sounds... xD (Me and my lack of affection toward Europe.)
I think it sounds pretty, very melodious with a heavy emphasis on pure vowel sounds. But don't take my word for it - go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_phonology

And the Finnish national anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlAuPOUew4
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery