Nufyak: a first attempt at a conlang

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Nufyak: a first attempt at a conlang

Postby mweens » Mon 22 Nov 2010 1:21 am

Hi all, I already mentioned the noobness of this attempt in the subject line, so let's cut to the chase:

The Nufyak language

Phonology-The sounds of the language are primarily dental, glottal (including stops and glides not expressible in English), and alveolar, with few nasalized and almost no aspirated sounds.

Grammatical features- The language is strongly agglutinative, completely devoid of inflection with tonality largely absent. The base stem of virtually all words is an adjective or would be expressed in English as a genitive case noun. As in all agglutinative languages, changes in Part of Speech, case, number, mood, tense, and implication are indicated by adding particles to the base form. These particles are all postpositional with the sole exception of the tense particle in a future tense utterance, which is prepositional. Gender is largely absent.

Pronouns are based on the second person singular.

Syntax is generally SVO, but a sentence can have several clauses which would be placed before the main verb of the independent clause. Additionally,

Example sentences:

Izh va trubarin qagar? (are you going to the bank?)

Ya, ghranzav me'izh izhni zan ji'arun qaghei'ar (Yes, do you[pl] want me to get anything while I'm out?)

Za bagarin zhvebag ghratrubar. (Buy some ham at the supermarket)

Qatrubar? (How much will it cost [lit:what money]?

zhach trubani'arun ghei'ar (get 7 bucks worth)
mweens

Re: Nufyak: a first attempt at a conlang

Postby linguoboy » Mon 22 Nov 2010 2:08 am

mweens wrote:Pronouns are based on the second person singular.

I'm not sure what this means. Could you elabourate (preferably with examples)?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby mweens » Mon 22 Nov 2010 8:04 am

this means that the pronoun stems are clearly based on the 2nd person singular pronoun

I- Me'izh
you[sing]-Izh
he/she/it-uzh
we-me'izhni
you[pl]-izhni
they-uzhni

me-Me'isu
You[sing-obj]-isu
him/her/it[obj]-usu
we-me'isni
My-Me'izhn
your[sing]-izhn
his/her/its[sub]-uzhn

where"zh" indicates a nonspecific subject (one where the name is not identified), "s[u]" indicates the object, ni is a pluralizing particle, and "n" is a possessive particle like the English "'s" or the Chinese 的.
mweens

Postby linguoboy » Mon 22 Nov 2010 4:31 pm

mweens wrote:where"zh" indicates a nonspecific subject (one where the name is not identified), "s[u]" indicates the object, ni is a pluralizing particle, and "n" is a possessive particle like the English "'s" or the Chinese 的.

Interesting ordering. All the natlangs I know would mark plurality first, then grammatical relations. Cf. Korean 너희들의 /ne.huy.tul.uy/ "you all's" ["you" + collective suffix + plural suffix + possessive particle].
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby mweens » Mon 22 Nov 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry, I was a bit lazy with my reply and didn't include a plural possessive as an example e.g.:

Me'izhnin (our) me'i (1st person singular) zh (nonspecific subject) ni (plural) n (possessive)
mweens

Return to Conlangery