Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

Postby Kloiten » Thu 29 Jul 2010 11:24 pm

Some of you may know the film Atlantis: The Lost Empire. If you were really interested, you could have read something about the Atlantean language, a speakable and interesting conlang made by none other than the famous creator of Klingon and Na'vi, Mark Okrand. It was designed to be the plausible ancestor to all the languages on Earth, and therefore the vocabulary has been taken from very many phyla. However, the base of the roots lies in Proto-Indo-European. Okrand also apparently spliced roots from these phyla, coming up with words like "tab", father, which combined Hebrew "ab" and Irish "tad".

In general, Atlantean is a calm, realistic language with the syntax of Japanese, the morphology of Sumerian, and vocabulary from practically everywhere. I think Okrand did an excellent job with it. Unfortunately, he has not published any books or dictionaries on the Atlantean language, so much of the language (mainly the Shepherd's Journal) must be deciphered step by painful step. Okrand is more likely than not sitting on a wordlist that Disney told him not to publish in anticipation of a sequel to Atlantis: The Lost Empire, but those who saw the second movie know how "successful" it was. Unfortunately, Okrand has stayed silent despite numerous letters and emails, so the fan base for Atlantean can only hope for a miracle. Some fans including myself have introduced neologisms, but that is obviously not very credible and is only suitable for fan use.

In this thread I aim to introduce the grammar of the language, which is not very difficult and is very regular, making Atlantean a language that is very easy to become proficient in.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Re: Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

Postby Kloiten » Thu 29 Jul 2010 11:36 pm

Sounds and Phonology

Stress
Stress always falls on the first syllable.

Vowels
Atlantean has a common five vowel system which is common to many languages on the planet. The five basic vowels, when stressed, are [aeiou] with their corresponding IPA values. Optionally, they can be lax when unstressed, making [aeiou] [əɛɪɔʊ] respectively. In the same allophones trend, monosyllabic words tend to be lax even though the stress falls on their only vowel. There are three diphthongs, [aj ej oj]. The [oj] is used the least.

Consonants
The consonants of Atlantean are as such: [kgtdpblrnmywsʃjx]. When two appear in a row, the sound is optionally geminated.
Kloiten

Postby justin » Fri 30 Jul 2010 3:32 am

Mark Okrand didn't create Na'vi. Paul Frommer did.
justin

Postby Kloiten » Sat 31 Jul 2010 8:05 am

Oops. That's embarrassing. I shall retreat into my little shame-hole after editing my first post.

Edit:

It would help if I could. Gah.
Kloiten

Postby Jarhead » Sun 17 Oct 2010 6:42 pm

Mmh... I take it you're not going to continue you explanation of the language? That would have been interesting :(
Native: Italian
Fluent (on a good day): English, Spanish
Can understand: Latin, Toki Pona
Jarhead

Postby linguoboy » Sun 17 Oct 2010 7:30 pm

Kloiten wrote:Okrand also apparently spliced roots from these phyla, coming up with words like "tab", father, which combined Hebrew "ab" and Irish "tad".

Tad is Welsh, not Irish. The Irish word for "father" is athair (< PIE *pH₂tér).
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » Mon 18 Oct 2010 12:28 am

jarhead wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Kloiten wrote:Okrand also apparently spliced roots from these phyla, coming up with words like "tab", father, which combined Hebrew "ab" and Irish "tad".

Tad is Welsh, not Irish. The Irish word for "father" is athair (< PIE *pH₂tér).

Yeah, and that said? Why don't you do something useful instead of belittling others? Do you have a girlfriend? Wait, HOW OLD ARE YOU at all?

Reposted without comment from a PM sent at 14:11 today.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby dtp883 » Mon 18 Oct 2010 6:34 am

Belittle? He told him what was wrong, what the correct language was, and threw in some relevant information.

(I also think he's probably one of the oldest members on this forum.)
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Jarhead » Mon 18 Oct 2010 2:15 pm

Very clever, one tries to avoid flames in the threads but you have to show to everybody how the new guy treats you to feed your oversized ego. If you are really the oldest here, that may explain a few things, like your pedantic smart senescent ass. Gaw, that sucks. If you are the typical member here, I might as well leave. Have a party now!
Native: Italian
Fluent (on a good day): English, Spanish
Can understand: Latin, Toki Pona
Jarhead

Postby linguoboy » Mon 18 Oct 2010 4:41 pm

Jarhead wrote:Very clever, one tries to avoid flames in the threads but you have to show to everybody how the new guy treats you to feed your oversized ego.

Rather to demonstrate to you that you can't get away with using PMs to make personal attacks that you're too cowardly to make in public. The goal isn't to keep flames secret, it's to keep them out of the forum altogether.

If you are really the oldest here, that may explain a few things, like your pedantic smart senescent ass.

Patience, young man, you'll get there some day!

Jarhead wrote:Gaw, that sucks. If you are the typical member here, I might as well leave.

As you can see, the typical member here has as little patience for your lack of netiquette as I do, so this decision is probably for the best. Chiudi la porta quando te ne vai!
linguoboy

Next

Return to Conlangery