Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.
linguoboy
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

Postby linguoboy » Mon 18 Oct 2010 4:44 pm

Kloiten wrote:The consonants of Atlantean are as such: [kgtdpblrnmywsʃjx]. When two appear in a row, the sound is optionally geminated.

Do you mean when two of the same consonant appear in a row? (And, if so, what is the other option, simplification?) Or do you mean that some kind of assimilation takes place or what? That is, is /kp/ optionally [kp:] or even [p:]? Or does this sort of cluster not even occur?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語

User avatar
Kloiten
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 2:50 am
Location: Redmond, Washington
Contact:

Re: Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

Postby Kloiten » Thu 24 Feb 2011 6:47 am

linguoboy wrote:
Kloiten wrote:Okrand also apparently spliced roots from these phyla, coming up with words like "tab", father, which combined Hebrew "ab" and Irish "tad".

Tad is Welsh, not Irish. The Irish word for "father" is athair (< PIE *pH₂tér).


....I don't see what was so offensive about this..
Oh well. Thanks for the correction.

As for lingustic explanation, I suppose I could. If el pueblo is still interested. Haven't been on this site for a very long time. Oh yeah, somewhere on this forum the resident linguist of the Yahoo! Atlantean group lurks.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg

User avatar
Kloiten
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 2:50 am
Location: Redmond, Washington
Contact:

Re: Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

Postby Kloiten » Thu 24 Feb 2011 6:51 am

linguoboy wrote:
Kloiten wrote:The consonants of Atlantean are as such: [kgtdpblrnmywsʃjx]. When two appear in a row, the sound is optionally geminated.

Do you mean when two of the same consonant appear in a row? (And, if so, what is the other option, simplification?) Or do you mean that some kind of assimilation takes place or what? That is, is /kp/ optionally [kp:] or even [p:]? Or does this sort of cluster not even occur?


Sorry, that was kinda vague:

I meant that when a consonant is doubled, the sound is a resulting gemination: /kk/ = [k:] and so on.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg

linguoboy
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Dig Adlantisag - Atlantean Language

Postby linguoboy » Thu 24 Feb 2011 6:28 pm

Kloiten wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Kloiten wrote:Okrand also apparently spliced roots from these phyla, coming up with words like "tab", father, which combined Hebrew "ab" and Irish "tad".

Tad is Welsh, not Irish. The Irish word for "father" is athair (< PIE *pH₂tér).

....I don't see what was so offensive about this.

No one called it "offensive". It's simply incorrect.

Kloiten wrote:I meant that when a consonant is doubled, the sound is a resulting gemination: /kk/ = [k:] and so on.

Thank you for the clarification.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語


Return to “Conlangery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

cron