Makurungou Language: Help and crictism will be accepted.

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Makurungou Language: Help and crictism will be accepted.

Postby Amantha » Wed 11 Aug 2010 3:47 pm

Backstory:
The Makurungou are a tribe of semi-nomadic Vulpids. For many centuries the Makurungou were a tribe of disorganized raiders and sheperd nomads. When the current Arwenyid Amantha Sigunda Shikaonij took power a few years ago. He modernized the army a bit. Introduced the Zyn'n religion to the tribe and made English a neccessary subject at tribal learning sessions. Makurungou culture has a set of honorifics for different people. Makurungou culture may seem quite awkward for Humans. Especially in the neighboring Human nation of Validonia. The Validonians speak English.

Makurungou Language: The Makurungou is what the Humans call a "Language Isolate". I guess to that it means that it has no linguistic realitives. (Spelt right?) Wrong! Makurungou is a liturgical language! The commoners sometimes speak many other languages derived from Makurungou and other languages the Human's sometimes speak.
(That last part is an idea for a Language family.)

Makurungou

If someone teaches me how to type IPA on here, I will post IPA on here.

CVC (VC) (V) (CV) (C)

Vowels: a ä e ë i ï o ö u ü ÿ¬ High Nasal Vowel.

Consonants: b d f g h k j ( stands for the y sound) l m n p kw r s t w v '(Glottal Stop) x z ng y (uvular fricative) z ch dr vl sh pr vr br nd (These last ones are the only consonant clusters in Makurungou besides inflections)

­ ­ ­

R= Liquidic "R" Somewhat like the Japanese "R"

Grammar:
All except the Oppostie indicators are attached as suffixes. However placement is quite lenient. So you could place them as prefixes or affixes.

Nouns:

Deity Tense: Kon

Deitess Tense: Vö

Inanimate Tense: brü

Animate Tense: fü

Past-Tense: be

Present-Tense: bä

Future tense unchanged: bë

Future tense changed: kis

Animalistic Tense: tä

Warlike tense: Hyök

Mating tense: Vrä

Ownership: bü

Opposite Indicator: Kü-

Neuter gender: ondë

Male gender: ö

Female gender: ë

Plural: en

Outsider tense: dä

"Inside something": Vlä

Noun "To Be"

I: Kë

You: Vë

We: Kün

They: Nön

We (plus humans): Kündo

They (plus humans): Nöndä

It: Në

Verbs

Past-tense: beö

Present-tense: bäu

Future tense unchanged: bëö

Future tense changed: kisü

Animalistic tense; täö

Warlike tense: bifü

Mate tense: kürä

Opposite indicator: mö-

Animate tense: füä

Inanimate tense: brüä

Deity tense: konö

Deitess tense: Vöë

Attached to the last word of a sentence to indicate exclamation: Do

Attached to the last word of a sentence to indicate question: Ko

As this is my first thought-out conlang, Please give constructive crictism that is not flaming. If you would like to help, Either message me on here or Post in this topic.
Native: English
Fluent: Dutch, Esperanto, Schbulwe
Learning: Romanian, French, German, Japanese and Welsh
Creating: Makurungou and it's whole family, Latin-based conlang, Many other things including a English, Dutch, Esperanto and Schbulwe pidgin.
Amantha

Re: Makurungou Language: Help and crictism will be accepted.

Postby ILuvEire » Thu 12 Aug 2010 10:25 am

What exactly are Vulpids, out of curiosity?

Anyway, can you explain some of your terms? I think you misunderstand the word "tense," tense refers to a time aspect, like past or future. What's the difference between the future changed and the future unchanged? And warlike, mating, deity, none of these are tenses, it doesn't make any sense. What does Deitess mean? Is it a term for a female deity? Whatever it means, it can't be a tense. Nouns can't have tense, so what are all those words you've got listed? What is the function of the word bä? It's a past-tense noun? You don't usually inflect nouns for tense (although I guess you could if you wanted, but you need to explain!) Also, you give conjugation of the verb to be, it looks like it's conjugated for grammatical person. If so, how do you conjugate other verbs for grammatical person?

Just in general, explain what all these words mean. You've just given us a very confusing word list. Hope this wasn't too flaming, I can be pretty fabulous sometimes :D
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby kaenif » Thu 12 Aug 2010 11:47 am

Amantha wrote:If someone teaches me how to type IPA on here, I will post IPA on here.

Solved.

The 'tenses' are pretty confusing. Like ILuvEire has said, it would be nice if you explained it a bit. Examples would also be very helpful in understanding. :)

Since I lack understanding in linguistics and have not yet got much information about your conlang, I can't think of any 'criticisms' right now, but I think I can request for
MOAR! :P
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Rhamos Vhailejh » Sun 15 Aug 2010 11:15 pm

Most of the things you have labeled as "tenses" in the "nouns" category and the "verbs" category seem more like particles or cases to me. Some of them are in fact tenses, but as has already been stated, they apply to verbs, not nouns.

I have no beef with your category labeled as "Noun "To Be"" other than the fact that "to be" is not a noun. lol. To be is a verb. If you've come up with some clever way to turn "to be" into a noun other than in the form of "beingness" (which I don't think is even a word, lol) then I'd be very interested to hear about it. However, it's important to point out that an inaccurate label (or several inaccurate labels) is (/are) no cause to dismiss the actual substance of your work. I like the way you have your copula (that's what the "to be" verb is generally called) inflecting for person.

Also, I'd like to point out that your honorifics are just that: honorifics, and as such (to my knowledge) cannot be classed as either nouns or verbs; especially not verbs. lol.

You've definitely got something going here, you just need to spend a little bit of time on Wikipedia, familiarize yourself with the IPA, and brush up on your terminology a bit so that you can better and more accurately express your hard work. I'd very much like to see the revised version of this document (along with an update containing a little more material) when you have. :)

PS: Love the name; Makurungou. That is quite epic indeed.
PPS: If your problem with the IPA is not a lack of familiarity, but a lack of knowledge as merely how to type the characters into your browser, just do what I do. Just go to Wikipedia, punch in IPA, and scroll down to the two charts. One contains all the consonants in a graph organized into their respective categories. The other one, as you'd imagine, contains the vowels, also organized cleverly. Simply copy and paste them from the chart. Bam. Problem solved. :)
~ Rhamos Vhailejh
Antellieksijim arrvvi'keödetval kyrrhessö'ällkunnön. Tuntooi'åhešška hänessa'etevåmus. Suuluejj køramiienjim tyysyvöl'työjennön.
Projects: Old Dwojin (discontinued), Modern Duojjin, Pзhowз, Elemental, and an unnamed conlang (hiatus)
Rhamos Vhailejh

Postby linguoboy » Mon 16 Aug 2010 3:54 pm

Rhamos Vhailejh wrote:I have no beef with your category labeled as "Noun "To Be"" other than the fact that "to be" is not a noun.

Actually, it is. "To be" is an infinitive and infinitives are both nouns and verbs. It's "be" that's solely a verb form.

I could see the forms listed as grammatically nominals if they required some conjugated auxiliary to form finite clauses. Some of the "tenses" could qualify depending on what categories they inflect for.

Even that wouldn't be strictly necessary if it's a zero-copula language. Look at Hebrew and Arabic where definite predicate nouns are indicated by the use of pleonastic pronouns, e.g.

linqwubuyy abū'l `arīf "Linguoboy is a know-it-all"
linqwubuyy huwwa abū'l `arīf min Umniqluṭ "Linguoboy is the know-it-all of Omniglot" (lit. "Linguoboy he father-the-knowledge from Omniglot").

In sum, it's really impossible to say what part of speech they are without seeing several usage examples.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Return to Conlangery