Translate into your own conlang

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Translate into your own conlang

Postby Tikolm » Sat 08 May 2010 8:06 pm

I don't think I could translate your sentence just yet. It's probably too complicated. I'll try, though, and I will post the sentence in all or some of my conlangs if I can. I have a Tikolmian sentence in my sig - do you want to know what it says? Tikolmian is my conlang.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Oealu » Sun 16 May 2010 6:10 pm

O ok I see.

My friend told me that she were in love with me. I couldn't believe him. But I have to find the truth.
Hula pasa pauǩaǯa på, "Kahika så". Nyt suoǯoǯa hå, lani kaho makauvei namelå.
friend.NOM 1 sing.GEN say.3p sing.past 1 sing.ACC, "love.3p sing.present 2p sing.ACC". NEG believe.1p sing.past 3p sing.ACC, but need.1p sing find.IMP truth.ACC
Native: American English
Semi-Fluent: Jamaican Patois (Jumiekan Patwa)
Learning: Arabic (العربية)
Studying: Finnish (Suomi), Greenlandic (Kalaallisut), Estonian (Eesti Keel)
Constructed: Oealu (Oialu No Keila), Kamalian (Kamalixut), Sumi Languages
Oealu

Postby Rhamos Vhailejh » Sat 22 May 2010 12:15 am

[English] [My friend told me that she were in love with me. I didn't believe him, but I must find the truth.]
[Duojjin] [Mika ohän rakåajat seiešška seina alån'puhunen seivöl. Hän sei'askalan, vaki veiman ii'njellyötöhin.]
[Nåðykk] [Myndt fränd sjefrat myþ tar yv yk vas i libar myt myþ. Jei yk tyd nei fäþar heþ, eða jei hafa fyndø den feikt.]
Last edited by Rhamos Vhailejh on Sat 22 May 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Rhamos Vhailejh
Antellieksijim arrvvi'keödetval kyrrhessö'ällkunnön. Tuntooi'åhešška hänessa'etevåmus. Suuluejj køramiienjim tyysyvöl'työjennön.
Projects: Old Dwojin (discontinued), Modern Duojjin, Pзhowз, Elemental, and an unnamed conlang (hiatus)
Rhamos Vhailejh

Postby Rhamos Vhailejh » Sat 22 May 2010 12:23 am

Also, @Kloiten: I don't know if it's been stated already, as I didn't bother reading all four pages of posts, but I would guess that your conlang's inspiration language is Slovenian. May I have my special points now? lol.

And @Alpha-Omega: You didn't ask, but t'would appear that your inspiration language for Vi Söllidäävin is Finnish, is it not?
~ Rhamos Vhailejh
Antellieksijim arrvvi'keödetval kyrrhessö'ällkunnön. Tuntooi'åhešška hänessa'etevåmus. Suuluejj køramiienjim tyysyvöl'työjennön.
Projects: Old Dwojin (discontinued), Modern Duojjin, Pзhowз, Elemental, and an unnamed conlang (hiatus)
Rhamos Vhailejh

Postby Kloiten » Sat 22 May 2010 3:18 am

Rhamos Vhailejh wrote:Also, @Kloiten: I don't know if it's been stated already, as I didn't bother reading all four pages of posts, but I would guess that your conlang's inspiration language is Slovenian. May I have my special points now? lol.

Not yet! Kaynur Pitak is actually based on Ainu and Sámi; yeah, I know, unfair because of the obscure natures of the languages. What were your reasons to think that my base was Slovenian? I'm kinda curious now, haha...
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Kloiten » Sun 23 May 2010 5:14 am

Rhamos Vhailejh wrote: [Duojjin] [Mika ohän rakåajat seiešška seina alån'puhunen seivöl. Hän sei'askalan, vaki veiman ii'njellyötöhin.]

This looks like it was inspired by Finnish, although it looks Sámi more than anything...

Rhamos Vhailejh wrote: [Nåðykk] [Myndt fränd sjefrat myþ tar yv yk vas i libar myt myþ. Jei yk tyd nei fäþar heþ, eða jei hafa fyndø den feikt.]

And since this Scandinavian trend is going on, this looks like a Norse descendant. Do you have a grammar for either language I can go look at?
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby alpha-omega » Sun 23 May 2010 7:15 pm

Rhamos Vhailejh wrote:And @Alpha-Omega: You didn't ask, but t'would appear that your inspiration language for Vi Söllidäävin is Finnish, is it not?

Oh, not exactly! Well, when you first look at the language without knowing the grammar you may think Finnish. because i use ä for æ, y and ö, making vowels double for long vowels like aa, yy, ää etc. But for grammar I am trying to make it unique. i agree there is a limit for making a language unique because this is a language. :)
Native: Turkish
Fluent: English
Learning: Greek
Have ideas about: German, Spanish, Finnish, French
Can read: Russian, Greek
Creating: Aiením, Vi Söllidäävin
Want to learn: Irish, Welsh
alpha-omega

Postby Rhamos Vhailejh » Wed 26 May 2010 4:32 pm

This looks like it was inspired by Finnish, although it looks Sámi more than anything...

Yes, you're right. It is inspired by Finnish. If it turned out looking more like Sámi, then that's pretty cool too, because a) while I may have modeled the language on Finnish, I don't actually want it to be so like Finnish that one might say "Yeah, that's Finnish." So if it actually turned out looking a little more like another nearby related language like Sámi, which I've never studied, then that's pretty awesome, and b) I actually have some Samese blood in me, so that's cool. :)
And while it is *inspired* by Finnish, the grammar is really very different. Duojjin and Finnish both use noun cases, but past that, they're really very different.

And since this Scandinavian trend is going on, this looks like a Norse descendant. Do you have a grammar for either language I can go look at?

Once again, sir, you are correct. The primary influences on this language are Old Norse, Norwegian, English, German, Hungarian and French. With the first three mentioned being the heavier influences and the second three mentioned being the weaker influences. I do not have a grammar in writing for Nåðykk (although it certainly exists within my head). For the most part, however, Nåðykk's grammar is identical to English, but closer to the fashion in which Iqbal from Bromwell High speaks. There is no plural form of the copula, and the copula is always necessary even in past and future tense. (examples: Hvo yk twr? (Who is you?) / Vo yk dyt twr mi tar? (Why is did you do that?)) (So you might be able to read that better: the Ys are read like the i in "tin," and the Is are read like the ea in "leaf," and the Ws are vowels (and never a consonant) that is read like the oo in "food." Rs are popped instead of trilled. Everything else about reading Nåðykk is pretty straight forward)

I do, however, have a written out grammar for Duojjin. It's not complete, but there is a great deal of it there. You can read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=305
I actually posted this a looong time ago, but since nobody seemed to have even the slightest bit of interest in it, I just kind of stopped making posts. I would be interested in finishing it though. There's only a few elements left to include, such as the surity particles.

What were your reasons to think that my base was Slovenian? I'm kinda curious now, haha...

It was the phonology. Your choice of sounds. Especially your use of the letter c.

Sein tajjinen puhun'hjeivahjeiö. (This talk of languages pleases me. :) )
Last edited by Rhamos Vhailejh on Wed 26 May 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Rhamos Vhailejh
Rhamos Vhailejh

Postby Rhamos Vhailejh » Wed 26 May 2010 4:42 pm

I'll write out some literal translations of the previously mentioned texts so you might be able to see in better detail how it works:

[Duojjin] Mika ohän rakåajat seiešška seina alån'puhunen seivöl. Hän sei'askalan, vaki veiman ii'njellyötöhin.

What thirdpersonfemale love-stateofbeing I-possessive friend'say-do(pasttense) I-towards. Thirdpersonneuter I'believe-do(pasttensenegative), but truth-accusative previouslystatedsubject'need-find-do(presenttense)

I have kept the apostrophes in their respective locations in the literal translation because the apostrophes are very important for Duojjin grammar, as they denote the performer of a verb, with the performer of the verb being on the left of the apostrophe and the verb being performed on the right.

[Nåðykk] Myndt fränd sjefrat myþ tar yv yk vas i libar myt myþ. Jei yk tyd nei fäþar heþ, eða jei hafa fyndø den feikt.

My friend say(pasttense) me that she is was in love with me. I is did not believe him, but I need find the truth.

Nåðykk's grammar is MUCH simpler than Duojjin's. I've intentionally designed Nåðykk to be easier to learn for English speakers than my previous language works.
~ Rhamos Vhailejh
Rhamos Vhailejh

Postby Gesithan » Wed 02 Jun 2010 4:41 pm

And here I was thinking that Nåđykk was an a-priori or similar! I mean, it looks Germanic, but the words are all wrong!

Myn hørđgeneat śe un fhrægan spræćen. Ić har cøtan gælf, byt Ić hat tryŧan y lernen.
Gesithan

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery