Translate into your own conlang

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Translate into your own conlang

Postby Cthulhu » Sun 11 Apr 2010 7:32 pm

If the sentence was: My friend told me that she was in love with me. I couldn't believe her, but now I must find the truth.
Then, translated into my conlang Aħkvm, it would be:
Ēn ārħiy ħaĕkarş ēn eş ħaĕzniħ fvm ēn. Ăş ħaĕcerwekń eş—kvn ħă ăş ţekran ēru wērşciyk.

IPA pronunciation: ɛ:n ærxaɪ xeɪʔkeɪrʃ ɛ:n i:ʃ xeɪʔʒnɪx fəm ɛ:n. a:ʃ xeɪʔǁi:rvi:kɲ i:ʃ kən xa: a:ʃ tsi:kreɪn ɛ:ru vɛ:rɕɕaɪk

Me freind (past)tell me she (past)love with me. I ( past,false)believe her, but present I (perfect)find the truth.
Native: English (US)
Fluent: Français
Learning: русский язык
Hope to learn: Magyar, Tatar

Conlang projects: Aħkvm, upcoming unnamed project.
Cthulhu

Postby Caenwyr » Tue 13 Apr 2010 2:46 pm

How about a second sentence?

"I tried to stop him from reaching for the lamp, but he touched it anyway and burned his hand"

Erháin:
    áncunan devos singos ød rinos álmardan, oan ød tudád rusar wi tíhudan mened

tried(1sg) make(GER) stop(GER) him(ACC) reach(GER) lamp-for, but it(ACC) touched(3sg) anyway and burned(3sg) hand-his

I'm not very happy with that sequence of gerunds (recognizable by the suffix -os), but it's the only way I can see for now. How do you people solve this?
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby Cthulhu » Wed 14 Apr 2010 6:08 am

In Aħkvm, your sentence: "I tried to stop him from reaching for the lamp, but he touched it anyway and burned his hand" would be:
Ăş ħaĕziyc eşc ħēlt ēş ħawoħ ēru an -- kvn ēş drăp ģv şciyk fvm ħaĕzralş ēş drăp.

I (past)try to stop he (present2)reach the lamp, but he hand it although and (past)burn his hand.
Native: English (US)
Fluent: Français
Learning: русский язык
Hope to learn: Magyar, Tatar

Conlang projects: Aħkvm, upcoming unnamed project.
Cthulhu

Postby Kloiten » Thu 15 Apr 2010 4:03 am

Sa rampu-na kerece-wa erunuy ipa-ro, sa-n ho-mo, teme-ta hucihuci ne.
3p lamp-OBJ reach.for-NMLZ prevent try-but, 3p-OBJ do.anyway-and, hand-LOC burn be

@Caenwyr, I would use the infinitive instead of gerunds. Seems more natural to me, because gerunds are more for constructed tenses than nominal usage such as this sentence, i.e. "I tried to stop him from to reach for the lamp". See what I mean? Bad English, of course, but I think that's what it is in some languages... like in French. As you can see, I did precisely that in my example, except I didn't use the genitive or ablative case, whatever you want to call it.
I don't know if I helped... I think I went a bit off topic. Sorry! I just said what I would do.

Infinitives ARE nominal actions, right? Right?
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Caenwyr » Thu 15 Apr 2010 10:09 am

Kloiten wrote:@Caenwyr, I would use the infinitive instead of gerunds.
That would make my sentence:
    Erháin: áncunan daviar singiar ød riniar álmardan, oan ød tudád rusar wi tíhudan mened

Maybe that still sounds a bit odd. Does this sound more natural to you?
    Erháin: áncunan dávosir ød singiar rínosnun álmardan, oan ...
      dávosir: gerund of daviar, "make, force, convince" + suffix -ir, "to" (purpose)
      singiar: infinitive, "stop, halt"
      rínosnun: gerund of riniar, "reach" + suffix -nun, "with"
    together: I tried to-making(GER) him stop(INF) with-reaching(GER) for-the-lamp, but...

Kloiten wrote:Infinitives ARE nominal actions, right? Right?
Lol, I don't have a clue what you meant with that ;) . Could you explain please?

Once again, thanks for the feedback!
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby alpha-omega » Sun 18 Apr 2010 10:20 pm

Caenwyr wrote:How about a second sentence?

"I tried to stop him from reaching for the lamp, but he touched it anyway and burned his hand"

In Vi Söllidäävin:
Si vålis'cin s'iodosta el'yicistä l'örin cål hännä s'eañi na si vaul'irsi vålipi.

the lamp to-that he reaches[acc.]-stopping[acc.]-tried I-but-it[dat.] touched he-and-the his hand[acc.] burned he.
Native: Turkish
Fluent: English
Learning: Greek
Have ideas about: German, Spanish, Finnish, French
Can read: Russian, Greek
Creating: Aiením, Vi Söllidäävin
Want to learn: Irish, Welsh
alpha-omega

Postby Huixuan » Mon 19 Apr 2010 2:46 am

This is in my conlang Gurcaj:

⟩taisung thi phong sung amomes ji non khuvkhretu ma•teo ghuvpamo myp istins⟨
My friend told me that she were in love with me. I couldn't believe him. But I have to find the truth.
taɪ̆θʊːŋ tʰɪ pʰoŋ θʊŋ amomɛːθ jɪ non kʰʊβkʰɛtʊː ma tɛoː xʰuβpamoː mʏp ɪθtɪːnθ

⟩trivunt myp egtuntme ther man thoc kaiegtuntme rampas teu thanju ther incun man⟨
I tried to stop him from reaching for the lamp, but he touched it anyway and burned his hand.
tɾɪwʊːnt mʏp ɛxtʊntmɛː tʰɛɾ man tʰoh̪͆ kaɪ̆ɛxtʊntmɛː ɾampaːθ tɛʊː tʰanjʊː tʰɛɾ ɪnh̪͆ʊn man

*If there were commas in Gurcaj, the comma would go after the "rampas" (lamps) in the second sentence.
I'm not providing the gloss on purpose because I want to wait until the language is finished, so admire it as is :)
Huixuan

Postby Lktimmons » Wed 21 Apr 2010 4:34 am

My friend told me that she was in love with me. I couldn't believe him. But, I had to find the truth.

How iend'fra ka how ba sa'do kow'a ka how ba ov'li. How ka kow'e ba e'be'eve'lot. A'na, how ka us'maid u'tra ba in'fi.

How( like in english) ee'end'fura kaa how baa saa'dou cow'aa kaa how baa ove'lee. How kaa kow'ai baa ai'bai'eve(like in english)'lout. Aa'naa, how kaa oos'maid(like in english) oo'turaa baa een'fee.

The ' is just to recgonize when a sound stops and begins.
ummmm....... I speak some banging french! XD
Lktimmons

Postby Kloiten » Thu 22 Apr 2010 2:55 am

Lktimmons wrote:How( like in english) ee'end'fura kaa how baa saa'dou cow'aa kaa how baa ove'lee. How kaa kow'ai baa ai'bai'eve(like in english)'lout. Aa'naa, how kaa oos'maid(like in english) oo'turaa baa een'fee.

You should learn some IPA. It makes it a helluva lot easier to read phonetic transcriptions.

Here's the international IPA chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipa

And here's the specifically English IPA chart, since your sounds are apparently based off of English. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_for_English

Best of luck. Trust me, if you're into the conlanging business, it's in your best interests to learn IPA.

EDIT: Also, you can't just say "English" and assume that readers speak your dialect. I, for instance, because of some weird trick of fate, say "ou" vowel clusters as the French would say it, and "cow" as køy as the Norwegians could have written it. If I didn't know how everyone else talked I would have mangled your pronunciation.
Fluent: English, русский язык
Proficient: français, 日本語
Beginning: suomi, davvisámegiella, 中文 (普通話), norsk, cymraeg
Kloiten

Postby Lktimmons » Fri 23 Apr 2010 2:29 am

Kloiten wrote:
Lktimmons wrote:apparently based off of English. .

Not all of them. It kinda has some Asian pronuncitation in there. I have fu-ra is kinda Japanese-ish. Usually the one-syllable words kinda use Japanese pronunciation. Maybe I should have mentioned that XD

Also, I think most people who speak English pretty much say how, eve, and maid the same way. just with different accents
ummmm....... I speak some banging french! XD
Lktimmons

PreviousNext

Return to Conlangery