What is your nearest store

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

What is your nearest store

Postby Alisbet » Wed 12 Jan 2011 2:08 pm

Like the title implies, what is your nearest store where you buy your groceries?
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.
Alisbet

Re: What is your nearest store

Postby linguoboy » Wed 12 Jan 2011 6:49 pm

Alisbet wrote:Like the title implies, what is your nearest store where you buy your groceries?

Devon Market. It's two blocks away and has an impressive range for a neighbourhood grocery. It seems to be Bosnian-owned but most of the people who work there are Mexican, so there's a full range of products catering to those two communities (including the hugest selection of Rumanian wines I have ever seen). Beyond that, it's rather catch as catch can. I can find a good selection of Ritter Sport (a German chocolate bar) but no Lindt or Toblerone. Their selection of Asian foods is pretty basic except recently they had Buddha's hands for sale, which I've never seen in either of Chicago's Chinatowns.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby kaenif » Thu 13 Jan 2011 9:28 am

Wellcome (not a typo) within 100m from my block. Nothing really special to say, just an ordinary supermarket. But for fresh foods, we usually go to nearby markets or streets. Freshness of food is very important and here we say that the food is "beautiful", as in "Today's choi sum is very beautiful!". :lol:
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Delodephius » Thu 13 Jan 2011 7:04 pm

I think Podunavlje, or is it Svetlana? Either way, they are both about 500m from my house. First one is a super market and other one just a regular cramped up grocery store. My bookshop though is near the town centre, so about a kilometer.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby linguoboy » Mon 24 Jan 2011 5:02 pm

Turns out I was wrong about the lack of Lindt & Sprüngli products. They must've added them relatively recently and--for whatever reason--didn't put them with the other imported chocolate bars. Of course, who knows if they'll still be there in a month or so. That's both the charm and the annoyance of small groceries.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby dtp883 » Thu 27 Jan 2011 4:36 am

A Safeway, about five miles away (7 or 8 kilometers?) :lol:
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Elijah » Wed 15 Feb 2012 5:29 pm

Safeway is the closest, although we go most often to King Soopers. For some things we go to Sunflower Market (http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/).
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Return to General chat