The Robots are Delayed

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

The Robots are Delayed

Postby Yaziq » Wed 09 Dec 2009 8:25 pm

With all the advances in computing power that have enabled NASA and other space agencies to send probes to the most distant regions of the solar system I wonder why we don't have soccer/football teams consisting of robots. All these robots would have to do is kick a ball and defend against another kicker. The robots would have to communicate with eachother with radio transmitters embedded in their heads and devise strategies which could be modified in an instant. It's really not all that complicated. I would enjoy betting on my favorite team. What's the holdup here? There is something about being alive and human that is difficult to reproduce in any machine. Neural networks have had decades to mimic our intelligence. Can we even build robot cockroaches that can avoid getting stomped on? We can build clever bug-like devices that crawl around, but could any of them avoid a heel coming down on it? I haven't seen that demonstrated anywhere. Think of all the millions of dollars that have been spent in this field. I suppose we'll have to wait a few more decades.
Yaziq

Re: The Robots are Delayed

Postby Caenwyr » Thu 10 Dec 2009 9:55 am

Check out this website. The robot soccer league!

What you wish for already exists, my friend! Behold and be delighted!
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Re: The Robots are Delayed

Postby Declan » Thu 10 Dec 2009 6:44 pm

You mightn't need a referee and then FIFA might be able to enforce the rules. :P
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Return to General chat