How bad I am at _______.

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

How bad I am at _______.

Postby kaenif » Sat 28 Nov 2009 1:51 pm

This thread is for talking about [thread name]. The blank can be a language, a subject, or anything.

How bad I am at English:
- I don't know when to use the past perfect.
- I thought 'ambiguous' meant something like 'deliberate' before last month.
- I used 'therefore' two times every sentence in my last Biology assignment.
- I didn't know what preposition should go with 'confess' before I googled it 1 minute ago.
- TODAY'S CHOI SUM IS VERY BEAUTIFUL!
(and I am sure that I have made more than one error in this post)
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Re: How bad I am at _______.

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 29 Nov 2009 12:46 am

kaenif wrote:How bad I am at English:
- I didn't know what preposition should go with 'confess' before I googled it 1 minute ago.

I wouldn't say that these things make you "bad" at English. It just demonstrates that your knowledge of English is incomplete.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby kaenif » Sun 29 Nov 2009 10:28 am

Sobekhotep wrote:
kaenif wrote:How bad I am at English:

I wouldn't say that these things make you "bad" at English. It just demonstrates that your knowledge of English is incomplete.

In fact I just wanted to release some of my negative emotions. :lol:
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Talib » Sun 29 Nov 2009 4:47 pm

Don't worry about it. Your English is perfectly good. Certainly better than my Chinese.
kaenif wrote:- TODAY'S CHOI SUM IS VERY BEAUTIFUL!
This threw me off for a second! I didn't know this was a term for what's known in English as Chinese cabbage, or bok choy (白菜) which I now know is báicài in Mandarin and means "white vegetable."
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby kaenif » Mon 30 Nov 2009 4:26 am

Talib wrote:Don't worry about it. Your English is perfectly good. Certainly better than my Chinese.
kaenif wrote:- TODAY'S CHOI SUM IS VERY BEAUTIFUL!
This threw me off for a second! I didn't know this was a term for what's known in English as Chinese cabbage, or bok choy (白菜) which I now know is báicài in Mandarin and means "white vegetable."

We consider them two kinds of vegetables although they belong to the same species. :P I never thought they were so closely related until I looked over it on Wiki.
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby ErzsebetGilbert » Mon 30 Nov 2009 12:00 pm

You claim your English is bad, but reading your post, I think it's beautiful. You definitely list specific difficulties with learning it, but English really is an insane language - I think so, and it's my native tongue! I just wanted to say that whatever troubles you're experiencing I can wholly tell you're doing a fantastic job!
for original fictions, travelogues, photographs, prattlings and perambulations, I'm at:
http://erzsebetgilbert.blogspot.com/
ErzsebetGilbert

Postby VROOR » Mon 30 Nov 2009 3:05 pm

ErzsebetGilbert wrote:English really is an insane language - I think so, and it's my native tongue!

If shall the English language is a tongue of insanity, then I must proclaim that, the Chinese language is a tongue beyond any logics which humans can understand. First of all, despite one may be a native speaker of Chinese, one can still never be fluent in the Chinese language (consider all the dialectal differences and archaic as well as special usages and characters). Second, the Standard Chinese has a standard grammar but, in reality most native speakers use dialectal influenced grammar...etc.

In short, English is more sane than Chinese but, insanity itself is a beauty anyways.
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby linguoboy » Mon 30 Nov 2009 5:02 pm

VROOR wrote:First of all, despite one may be a native speaker of Chinese, one can still never be fluent in the Chinese language (consider all the dialectal differences and archaic as well as special usages and characters). Second, the Standard Chinese has a standard grammar but, in reality most native speakers use dialectal influenced grammar...etc.

I would say both statements are equally true of English as well. Moreover, the spread of English around the world has only increased the proliferation of dialectal variations. Was there any such thing as "Indian English" a century or two ago? But now it's immediately recognised (and widely parodied) throughout the Anglosphere.

But the first statement is dubious anyway. I don't know anyone who conflates "fluency" with "all-embracing knowledge". Even the best-read scholar on the planet could never be familiar with all the dialectalisms and archaicisms which make their way into print, much less all those one might hear spoken--and this goes for any major language, not just English or Chinese. The only languages I think it would be even remotely possible for one person to know inside and out would be the tongues of small compact communities, those with a few hundred speakers at most.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Stosis » Wed 02 Dec 2009 5:27 am

Ok, I'll try. How bad am I at... getting my school work done.

1. I was going to skip Greek yesterday to work on an essay, but ended up just sleeping in and waking up at 10:15 (the class ends at 10:20)
2. I haven done my (optional) greek homework all term, or any other optional assignments for that matter
3. I'm about 150 lines behind in my reading for Latin
4. I've only written 2 pages of my essay from 1 (its supposed to be 11-12 in length) and its due tomorrow
5. Instead of doing my essay I'm writing this

Well, back to work :D
Stosis

Postby dtp883 » Wed 02 Dec 2009 6:23 am

Lol Stosis, Latin & Greek sounds like Catholic school. :lol:

I bad at schoolwork:
-4 Chapters behind in general in history.
-3 Chapters of work behind in biology.
-I have an 82% in Math and 3 late assignments (all turned in but you are only allowed 3 late assignments per semester)
-I put off school work in general and it all ends up being do on the same day.

I'm bad at Spanish because:
-I don't full understand the present subjunctive or conditional tenses.
-The only thing I know about the imperfect subjunctive is how to conjugate it.
-In speech I can't recognise the 3rd person direct and indirect object pronouns.
-The position of subject pronouns and why they come after the verb.
-Lack of knowledge of verb vocab.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Next

Return to General chat