Energy From Tides

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Energy From Tides

Postby Benham » Fri 26 Jun 2009 5:50 am

Tidal power attempts to make use of the natural energy potential of tidal activity in the oceans and seas. In simple terms, the high tide is captured and fed through a turbine to generate electricity. Tidal power is a reliable and predictable source of energy. Tides occur periodically and regularly, which can be deduced many years in advance.

There are two ways of creating tidal power: tidal dams and ocean currents. Dams are based on using a barrage at a bay or estuary with a large tidal range. Power is generated primarily at ebb tides as the barrage creates a significant head of water. Waves caused by wind blowing over the surface of the ocean also carry tremendous energy. The total power of waves breaking around the world's coastlines is estimated at 2-3 million megawatts. Ocean wave energy is captured directly from surface waves or from pressure fluctuations below the surface using point absorbers.

Many scientists and engineers across the world are learning to harness the indefinite power of the ocean waves, and to convert it into electricity with minimal environmental effects. The energy from ocean is environment friendly nature and does not lead to the green house effect. The tidal wave energy is pollution-free and helps in conserving the earth.
Benham

Re: Energy From Tides

Postby Caenwyr » Fri 26 Jun 2009 8:36 am

uhm... you DO realize this is a language forum, right? What's the purpose of this post exactly?

Maybe we should all just try and translate it to a conlang or something :lol:
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby ILuvEire » Fri 26 Jun 2009 10:39 am

Benham wrote:Tidal power attempts to make use of the natural energy potential of tidal activity in the oceans and seas. In simple terms, the high tide is captured and fed through a turbine to generate electricity. Tidal power is a reliable and predictable source of energy. Tides occur periodically and regularly, which can be deduced many years in advance.

There are two ways of creating tidal power: tidal dams and ocean currents. Dams are based on using a barrage at a bay or estuary with a large tidal range. Power is generated primarily at ebb tides as the barrage creates a significant head of water. Waves caused by wind blowing over the surface of the ocean also carry tremendous energy. The total power of waves breaking around the world's coastlines is estimated at 2-3 million megawatts. Ocean wave energy is captured directly from surface waves or from pressure fluctuations below the surface using point absorbers.

Many scientists and engineers across the world are learning to harness the indefinite power of the ocean waves, and to convert it into electricity with minimal environmental effects. The energy from ocean is environment friendly nature and does not lead to the green house effect. The tidal wave energy is pollution-free and helps in conserving the earth.

Should we talk about tidal energy? Sounds good, but where's the money in it? No one will get behind it if they can't make money off of it. Sounds like it would create energy for quite cheaply, and it's not like the moon or the water would be making money off of it...

Honestly now that I think about it, wouldn't this be bad for the USA? I mean, the issue is that there aren't enough jobs to go around, this would be eliminating tons of jobs.

Caenwyr wrote:uhm... you DO realize this is a language forum, right? What's the purpose of this post exactly?

Maybe we should all just try and translate it to a conlang or something :lol:

But isn't this the general forum, with discussion that's not about languages?
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Delodephius » Fri 26 Jun 2009 3:27 pm

It's a bot.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby ILuvEire » Sat 27 Jun 2009 4:39 am

Delodephius wrote:It's a bot.

Really? I feel stupid. :D
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Jayan » Mon 29 Jun 2009 7:10 pm

ILuvEire wrote:
Delodephius wrote:It's a bot.

Really? I feel stupid. :D

LOL I'm glad I read through all the way before posting for a change...I almost fell for it too :oops: :P
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Return to General chat