What do you do for a living?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

What do you do for a living?

Grade school student
46%
College/University student
25%
Graduate student
No votes
Blue-collar work
No votes
White-collar work
21%
Homemaker
No votes
Nothing right now, but I'm looking for work
4%
Nothing, and I'm happy with that
4%

Total votes : 24

Re: What do you do for a living?

Postby dtp883 » Thu 21 Jan 2010 5:22 am

Talib wrote:
Delodephius wrote:I said it was on purpose, I didn't say it was... Hm... something is not right with this sentence. I came across this before, I just don't know what's the problem. Sometimes to me it feels perfectly natural to say something is while meaning it isn't. Just like now, it's raining outside but I don't mind if someone would say it is not raining even if I see it is with my own eyes. Strange indeed.
What?

Sarcasm? Although, this isn't how I'd use it.

Sarcastic -- "It's raining? I can't 'wait' to walk across campus"

Literal -- "It's raining? Crap! I'm going to wreck my new clothes."

Is that kind of what you mean?
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby Delodephius » Thu 21 Jan 2010 3:43 pm

No, it's not sarcasm.

Only thing that I could think up is that I am tolerant of fallacy. I don't pay any attention to mistakes of others, unless I can gain something from them. If someone is being incorrect or lying of which I am aware, I don't feel the need to correct him/her or reveal to him/her I know s/he is lying. If someone told me it's not raining outside, while we both stand in front of the window and I'm looking how the rain is falling, I'll just say "Ok". I think I don't care about what people say, I only care about the actual state of things of which I'm the only one who can verify their truthfulness. If someone is saying to me it is not raining when it obviously is, I don't care about what that person said when I know he's statement is incorrect. Hm... this reminds of an idea I pondered about some time ago: do I ignore mistakes and fallacies? I think to an extent I do.

In a way, if he said that he studied Arabistics meaning for example French and Chinese, then I automatically assume he meant something else and not Arabistics, since to me French and Chinese being part of Arabistics is not a correct statement, therefore in my head I replace it with the most plausible correct one, that he either meant something else and not Arabistics, that Arabistics means something else to him than to me, or that he didn't study French and Chinese but some other languages and just made a lapsus.
The second probable explanation I think gives people the most problem, since unlike me they expect that words carry a universal meaning, like window means a window not a door, which for me doesn't matter if someone used it with that meaning. I would be like "Oh this guy calls the door 'a window'," and just go along with it.
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Remd » Thu 21 Jan 2010 5:43 pm

Maybe he could tell us what he meant so that we don't need to decide what he's studying...but I think he means he's taking a course which is not centered on Arabic but maybe on Arabic culture or the Muslim World...and Turkey was very important to Arabs during the Ottoman Empire. So maybe it is as if I said "I'm studying Hispanistics (or something like that o_O)" and I could be studying Basque and Spanish even though they're not related at all.
Remd

Previous

Return to General chat