The Mandela Effect

The place for chat about anything not related to language.
Yaziq

The Mandela Effect

Postby Yaziq » Sat 01 Oct 2016 7:54 pm

Reportedly, there are many people who believe that Nelson Mandela died in prison. These people have no recollection of Mandela ever becoming president of South Africa. According to believers in this phenomenon, somehow the past rewrites itself and the resulting contradiction is passed down to our time. The high level experiments at CERN are suggested as a cause of this by some folks. It's like the matrix is rearranging itself, or being deliberately manipulated. Here is another example: Some folks believe that "Chick Filet" was once spelled "Chic Filet". I don't remember the brand name without a "k" on the end. But the believers would differ with me. What to you personally remember? Do your own research. There might be something to this.

IXBlackWolfXI

Re: The Mandela Effect

Postby IXBlackWolfXI » Sun 16 Oct 2016 1:04 pm

Most scientists just claim this is a result of faulty memory. They believe our memories are actually highly unreliable, even concerning things emotionally important to us. In this case, the Mandela effect is just a consequence of people's memory changing, and them being shocked when they discover that their memories don't line up with reality.

A more common example is the Berenstain bears. Many people swear that the name was spelled Berenstein, but this is believed to be a memory error caused by the fact that names ending in 'stein' are a lot more common than names ending in 'stain'. Even the son of the original authors (who are both dead apparently) claims his family has had a recurring problem of people misspelling their name as Berenstein. Also, it should be noted that no one can show proof that the name was ever spelled Berenstein, even if you dig out an old book you had as a child it'll say Berenstain.

Personally, I think the Mandela thing may just be a consequence of the news. The news is highly unreliable, because they're forced to get news out as fast as possible, so they often try to guess what the news will be before they're certain. For example, when Obamacare was first enacted, I saw a news report on Fox that the supreme court had overturned it, which of course didn't happen. Oh, and the whole 'Paul is dead' thing was started when a news station reported him as dead when he got into a car crash, even though he did survive it. They later corrected their error, but even today many people believe that report is proof that he did die and they just tried to cover it up. Granted, I don't know of any false reports about Mandela dying (I believe this would've been before I was born anyway), but its not unreasonable. Like I've said, it wouldn't be the first time the news claimed someone was dead when they weren't.

And while I'm talking about how unreliable the news is, a study was done to see just how (un)reliable the news is. Pbs, which is the least popular, turned out to be the most reliable. It was the only station where more than 50% of its reports were true.

Yaziq

Re: The Mandela Effect

Postby Yaziq » Wed 02 Nov 2016 6:41 pm

There was the Doolittle raid on Tokyo during WW2 and then there is "Doctor Dolittle". These are variant spellings. One could say that these variants have co-existed for decades. That's true. If you find an old kid's book of "Doctor Doolittle" I will say "Wow!".

Return to “General chat”