Kajarte was designed by Kuba Staszewski, a Polish student of Arabic studies,
as an alternative way of writing Polish, Arabic and English using the Latin alphabet.
It is based on another of his inventions, hand-written Kajara. Visually Kajara
was loosely based on Arabic although it is difficult to see this resemblance
in Kajarte. Since it is constructed from glyphs already existing in natural
alphabets Kajarte is almost fully supported by most of the text editors.
- Type of writing system: alphabet
- Used to write Polish, English and Arabic (as well as most of Latin-based languages)
- Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal lines
- There is no upper or lower case, but some letters have different initial forms (mostly vowels)
- Vowels are usually written as diacritical marks
- There are no characters for 'q' [usually replaced by k (ɔ) or ku (ɔ̩)] or x [usually replaced by ks (ɔɯ)]
- There is a specific order when writing vowels (see below)
- There are three additional characters different from Latin: ɪ, ͫ and ˤ (described below)
Kajarte - basic characters
Key: Kajarte, English, Arabic, Polish (when different from English) voiceless
Additional Polish characters
Additional Arabic characters
Reading diacritical marks
The diacritical marks above the letter are first to be read. Then you read diacriticals below the letter. Sometimes you cannot write all diacriticals above just one character: for example, if you want to write word 'duch' (ghost)you will need to add an additional voiceless ɪ character: n̩ɪ̈ (or: n̩ʌ). Also sometimes you need to use ɪ because previous character does not look well with lots of diacritical marks.
Sample texts in Kajarte
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)
Wszyscy ludzie rodzą się wolni i równi w swojej
godności i prawach. Są obdarzeni rozumem i sumieniem i
powinni postępować wobec siebie w duchu braterstwa.
(Artykuł 1, Powszechna Deklaracja Praw CzŁOwieka)
يولد جميع الناس أحراراً متساوين في الكرامة والحقوق. وقد وهبوا عقلاً وضميراً وعليهم ان يعامل بعضهم بعضاً بروح اﻹخاء.
(إعلان عالمي لحقوق الإنسان، المادة 1)
Yūladu jamī'u n-nāsi aḥrāran mutasāwīna fī l-karāmati wa-l-ḥuqūq. Wa-qad wuhibū 'aqlan wa-ḍamīran wa-'alayhim an yu'āmila ba'ḍuhum ba'ḍan bi-rūḥi l-ikhā'.
Download this information in PDF format, and a keyboard layout creation (klc) file for Kajarte
Other adapted scripts