by Ekkehard Konig and Johan Van Der Auwera
- a good introduction to the Germanic languages containing information about the history, phonology, morphology, syntax, lexiography and dialects of Gothic, Icelandic, Faroese, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Yiddish, Pennsylvania German, Dutch, Afrikaans, Frisian, English and Germanic Creoles
by Orrin W. Robinson
- an interesting introduction to Gothic, Old Norse, Old English, Old Saxon, Old High German, Old Low Franconian and Old Frisian with example texts and historical background to each language.
by Gunhild Prowe and Jill Schneider (Editors)
Buy from: Amazon.com
by William Holmes Bennett
- a good introduction to Gothic which covers the grammar, phonology and history of the language. Also includes many exercises, texts, a Gothic-English dictionary, and a good bibliography.
by Eric V. Gordon
- this is a reader for those who have already learned the basics of Old Norse. Includes a brief introduction to Scandinavian history, the Viking expansion, and saga literature, an outline of Old Norse grammar, and about 160 pages of West Norse (Old Icelandic) texts. Most of the selections are from the sagas, and they are well annotated, and a full vocabulary is included in the back of the book. There is also a section on "East Norse" (the Old Norse particular to Denmark, Norway and Sweden), and a small section dealing with the language of the runic inscriptions.
by Heather O'Donoghue
- a fascinating introduction into the colourful world of Old Norse-Icelandic literature. In addition to mythology and family sagas, it also covers lesser-known areas such as oral story-telling, Eddaic verse and skaldic verse. This book describes the language and culture of the first settlers in Iceland which helps appreciate the background against which this literature was produced.
by Michael Barnes (Editor)
Buy from: Amazon.co.uk
[ other sections ]
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.
Learn Chinese Characters with the Omniglot Chinese app |
Language Jobs at Jobseeker.co.uk
Hosted by Kualo