As I mentioned last week, I’ve been learning the Polish version of Silent Night (Cicha Noc). While trying work out how to pronounce the Polish, I noticed that some of the the Polish consonants are similar to those found in Mandarin Chinese.
- Polish c [ts] = Mandarin c, as in 次
- Polish ć & c+i [ʨ] = Mandarin q, as in 七
- Polish cz [tʂ] Mandarin ch, as in 吃
- Polish sz [ʂ] = Mandarin sh, as in 十
- Polish ś & s+i [ɕ] = Mandarin x, as in 西
Comparing the pronunciation of one language to another isn’t always helpful and can be misleading. In this case though, it gives me a better understanding Polish phonology.