Name the language

Can you guess the language and where it’s spoken?

18 Responses to Name the language

1. zeke says:

It has a persian sound to me, but I don’t think that’s the direction. It has a tendency to put in a lot of english words which i think happens a lot in indian languages, but I don’t know enough to say which.

2. michael farris says:

Wild guess, Kannada?

3. William says:

Malayalam? I am fairly sure it is an indian language, and Malayalam is my only guess.

4. joe mock says:

This isn’t Hindi but it’s close – I don’t think it’s Panjabi, though I may be wrong. Marathi or Gujerati?

5. Aamba says:

I agree, it sounds almost like Hindi, but not quite and the pronunciation is much softer and more blended than Hindi.

6. michael farris says:

My first idea was Indic, not Dravidian (the chances of it not being from the Indian sub-continent are basically non-existent) but was distracted by what sounds like potentially Dravidian case markers (like Tamil -le though overall it doesn’t sound very Tamil-like to me) and sentence finals (pile ups of syllables with l’s and/or r’s .

I’m sticking with Kannada for the time being but I wouldn’t be that surprised if it turned out to be Indic after all.

7. Jayan says:

I would say it’s not malayalam. My grandmother speaks that natively and it doesn’t sound like what she jabbers on the phone :p. Reminds me of Kannada so that’s what I’ll guess

8. aloorf says:

I think maybe Indic perhaps, Bengali possibly?

9. pennifer says:

I can’t get any closer than the Indian subcontinent.

10. Trevor says:

Well it’s definitely Indian subcontinent.

And the phonetic inventory sounds north Indian rather than south Indian.

But it doesn’t sound like Hindi.

So I’m guessing Punjabi.

11. d.m.falk says:

It’s clearly about the forthcoming football (soccer) matchup between The Netherlands and Uruguay at the World Cup (Go Holland!), and very much so on a language from India, but definitely not Hindi (and by extension, not Urdu, either)… I’m not entirely sure which, but just as a stab in the dark, I’m gonna go with modern Sanskrit as my guess. :)

d.m.f.

12. jimutavahana says:

This is definitely not Kannada. Could be Bengali or perhaps Oriya

13. Ammar says:

My guess is Bengali because of the non-Dravidian sounds and the very “rounded” vowels. (Sorry about the improper terminology)

14. Sathyarthi says:

- Most probably Bengali, perhaps the ‘Sylheti’ dialect (?)…

My guess is a language of the north, perhaps northwest of India. The aspirated /kh/ sounds are definitely north Indian, and the repeated ‘char’ after mentions of teams sounds like it could be ‘four’ as in score count. I also hear a ‘shesh’, which is the same as Persian/Farsi ‘six’ but it could be something completely different — who knows. It doesn’t sound like the Punjabi I’ve heard, especially not like Bengali, nor like Hindi/Urdu or Gujarati. It doesn’t seem to be Kashmiri, which I would have hazarded a guess at…

Hmmm…???

The answer is Bengali (বাংলা), which is spoken mainly in Bangladesh and India.

The recording comes from BBC World Service.

It seems I may have to revise my mental image of how Bengali sounds…!

18. omponk says: