Name the language

Do you know or can you guess which language it’s in and where it’s spoken?

11 Responses to Name the language

1. That’s Papiamento, the creole spoken on the Lesser Antilles.

2. Kate says:

I was gonna say it sounds little like Portuguese. Damn, you’re good, Blinde!

3. Will says:

I understand/recognize most of it as Spanish, but some is a little odd. Maybe a spanish creole? Maybe in the Pacific or the Philippines?

4. It sounds like a mixture of Spanish/Portuguese and Dutch. So I’ll go with Blinde Schildpad’s answer.

5. renato says:

No doubt, it is Papiamento spoken in Caribean ABC (Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao) specialy in Aruba.

6. Trond Engen says:

Iberian Romance with lots of Dutch names pronounced in Dutch and a few Caribbean references. It must be Papiamento.

7. Petréa Mitchell says:

I’m hearing half Spanish, half something unintelligible with lots of reduplication, and a sprinkling of Germanic. I’ve never heard of Papiamento before, but reading up on it just now, that sounds plausible.

8. d.m.falk says:

Not gonna challenge this one, since I think everyone’s got it. :) Lots of references to “WWW”, though- Must be something about the internet. :)

d.m.f.

9. I would guess this snippet comes from a Papiamento radio station in the Netherlands: the story is about the recent municipal elections in The Hague and the resulting problems in forming a coalition with or without the participation of the PVV (a new right-wing party that seems to think floods, unusual cold spells and the decline of the red squirrel are equally caused by ‘islamisation’).

The answer is Papiamento (Papiamentu), which is spoken in the Netherlands Antilles (Curaçao, Bonaire, Aruba).

The recording comes from Radio Nederland Wereldomroep

11. Rodrigo says:

It’s Papiamento. “PVV” is pronounced exactly as in Dutch. Mostly Spanish Words, a few Portuguese words. The order of the words seems like a creóle. The only Dutch + Spanish creóle I know: Papiamento :)