Mystery language

Can you identify the language of this recording?

This language is a member of a widely-scattered language family, most of the members of which are spoken by relatively few people.

16 Responses to Mystery language

1. Bill Walsh says:

Sounds like Finnish to me. If it’s not that, then Estonian. I’m guessing the family is Finno-Ugric.

2. jrf says:

Hmm. I’m no linguist, let alone someone who would recognize languages by their sound, so all I can offer is a totally wild guess based on the additional information you give and that would be Quechua.

Even so, listening to it, makes me think that I rather should be thinking of an Asian language, but I can’t think of any which fits the description at this moment.

3. Rebecka says:

It sounds like Finnish to me too, but since that is not spoken by relatively few people, I’d say a Saami language.

4. Declan says:

It sounds like French to me, so I am going to say either Catalan or Breton. I think Breton, but it is really only an educated guess.

5. Evans Knight says:

it’s defninitely not catalan. if it was i would have understood at least some of it. I’d guess a baltic language, or even Romani.

6. I’m not sure, but I’m going to go for Hungarian.

I don’t know if any of you listen to Rock 103.com, but they have a DJ on there who is from Hungary and occasionally speaks Hungarian on the radio…they have this game where the other 2 DJ’s have to decide what her statement means. This almost sounds like the same language to me, but not sure.

7. Matthias says:

Hmm, I think it might be a language closely related to Finnish but it’s definitely not Finnish – maybe Karelian or Sami. I think I heard the word “Ođđasat” in the end – in that case it would be Sami and mean “News”

8. Giovanni says:

It looks similar to Finnish but not quite Finnish to me. I say Estonian.

9. gidler says:

Northern Sami is my guess.

10. Zachary R. says:

It sounds slightly more Latvian than Estonian, so I’ll just go with that.

11. gidler says:

It has Finnish excerpts (names of places and people), probably mentions YLE (Finnish Broadcasting Company) and isn’t Finnish or Swedish. The voice is remarkably similar to that of one of YLE’s Sami TV newsreaders. Northern Sami is the de-facto Sami language in Finland. Any other guesses? :)

12. trevor7744 says:

This one is a cool one, my guess is Saami, the accent sounds so similar to Finnish. This one is a harder one than the previous quizzes!

13. pni says:

Yep, it’s YLE Sámi radio, which makes the language Saami (or Sami).

It is indeed YLE Sámi radio, so as gidler says, it’s probably Northern Sami. It’s certainly Sami of some description.

15. Laci the Hun says:

Congrat! It was a pretty hard task :O our languages are related but I can’t make out a word of this recording and I had only a faint guess